Johnson v4 90HP outboard 2000MY

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Leonardpower
CMBA Member: 0

Johnson v4 90HP outboard 2000MY

Post by Leonardpower »

90 HP 2 stoke outboard
When put into reverse it goes into gear and prop can be seen turning but the RPM stays at idle and won,t increase. It just moves the boat very slowly. Forward gear is fine and boat with run up to 40 MPH

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Johnson v4 90HP outboard 2000MY

Post by floater »

Firstly this motor is a lot newer than anything I'm used to so what I'm about to say may be completely irrelevant.

I have some 60s 70s motors including Evinrudes, some have a stopper on the gear mechanism that acts as a limit for the throttle when the gear is in neutral to prevent you reving the nuts off it out of gear. There is also another stop on the reverse side, again to prevent full throttle dragging the boat backwards at high speed creating a big wave that then floods the splashwell and sinks the boat.

Your motor may have a similar mechanism so it may be worth looking around the gearshift and throttle mechanism under the hood to make sure any neural stop is moving fully clear when reverse is selected.

Hope this is of use, good luck.

Leonardpower
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Leonardpower »

Thanks for the reply. the problem would apper to be in the control box. It has a lock out lever which stop you going straight in to reverse from forward it also controls the warm up lever. We currently have a non function warm up lever. It a small plastic part which wears the only place I can find one is in the states so going to try and repair it

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Good that you've found the cause of the problem. I've used Seaway Marine in the US for difficult to find parts in the past, they are helpful and good to deal with. The problem though can be this end with the lottery of import charges.

https://www.seawaymarine.com

Hopefully you'll be able to repair the faulty part, good luck