Fenn and Wood restoration

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Thrubwell58
CMBA Member: 0

Fenn and Wood restoration

Post by Thrubwell58 »

Hi,

I am new to the group, but not to boating. I acquired a Fenn & Wood boat late last year on a well known auction site for the princely sum of £540.00 including delivery. The boat came with trailer, cover and Yamaha M12 electric outboard - a bargain! However, once backed into the water an aquatic Vesuvius erupted along her keel line (and a few other places), she was quickly returned to dry land where another use for her presented itself - a colander.

Over the years she appeared to have been loved but the last ten had probably taken their toll. She has been put into the workshop for restoration and progress is being made. History is also emerging of what she is or was, she started life as a 14' sailing dinghy in F&W's Taplow works and construction started in that fashion, but, it appears that a bespoke boat was required and her keel board was removed and covered (the original keel guard strip covers the whole length of the keel), the top deck was changed from the sailing version and an upstand created and the 'launch' cabin added at the factory.

The cabin was originally glazed and she has flag staff sockets to the rear, presumably for an ensign and flag socket for a pennant to the bow.

Does anyone know any more.......?
Attachments
Restoration in progress
Restoration in progress
As purchased
As purchased
Last edited by Thrubwell58 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

Re: Fenn and Wood restoration

Post by kwoffa »

I have a Fenn and Wood Meteor MK1...you can Pm me if required as i have pictures of my own boat being restored in the 80's...

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Hi ALAN.
It was great to talk and listen to you the other day !
I do hope that the photos i sent you along with the short video...helped a bit.
Mel.

Thrubwell58

Post by Thrubwell58 »

Mel,

They did indeed! It's useful to see how the hull developed from the GP14 boat. I will be in touch as another r F&W project appears to be looming!!

Alan

Thrubwell58

Post by Thrubwell58 »

Progress has continued with the bottom of the boat replaced together with some mahogany cross members. Old paintwork has been stripped inside and out and voluminous quantities of lacquer/varnish have been applied to the 'wood bits'.

The hull was covered with a couple of layers of glass fibre mat and tissue, not necessarily original but will (hopefully) leave a lasting legacy for somebody in the future. The cabin appears to have been glazed originally and the new glass arrived yesterday for fitting.
Naiad 5.jpg
Naiad 5.jpg (16.35 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Another fortnight should see her complete and then the maiden voyage!

Then I must look out that Vedette engine and gearbox for the Meteor.........

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Looking great Alan.

Thrubwell58

Post by Thrubwell58 »

The result of a few months of restoration - 61 years young and awaiting the restoration of the British Anzani Super Single....
Attachments
naiad 270719.jpg

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

We was at the Henly Festival..and i was talking to the chap who restored "GELYCE" a truely wonderfull boat at a cool 2 MIL it should be !! he was mentioning glassing over wood ..and that sometimes it can cause nightmares inas much that it can and does trap water in...'GELYCE was done like that and had to have a total hull rebuild...
I have sent mails but it will be great when we finally catch up with each other.
Mel.