Help to ID early Volvo Penta Aquamatic

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

plasticbadger
CMBA Member: 0

Help to ID early Volvo Penta Aquamatic

Post by plasticbadger »

Hi all, I’ve just bought a new project and I was hoping someone could help me ID the power plant. The boat is a Fjord 21 cruiser from between 1960-1964ish. What I know about the engine and drive is:

Drive is an early Volvo Penta Aquamatic, AQ100
Engine is a Volvo B18, twin Stromberg carb, it doesn’t look original

It bought a load of service parts for a AQ110, because they looked right! But is the drive a AQ100A or B? Is the engine pack a 100, 110 or 115?
Attachments
308F6651-EB4E-42CA-8A8E-A04C2F2968EB.jpeg
37224088-D641-440E-87D4-136D5E60107D.jpeg
1964 Storebro Royal 28 'Sheglioj'

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Re: Help to ID early Volvo Penta Aquamatic

Post by solitaire »

Nice choice.... I think I would have bought it if I didn't other projects on the go, The VP110 is original as are the strombergs, - I was working on them, (and Fjords) in the mid 60's! - and I think you boat could be 1964-66?
The early VP110's are high compression engines so happier on 98 octane fuel and the Strombergs are just fine - but will be better with new diaphragms, (Volvo selected them for marine application because they behave better than an SU in a "salt air" environment). The engine is very sensitive to correct head gaskets and head bolt tightening sequence............
The 100 series drive is good, and in the same boat "back to back" quite a bit faster than the bulkier 200 onwards units, the big difference between 100A and 100B is - 100A has a dog clutch and later 100B has a cone clutch - (much smoother and none of the grinding noises when selecting gear) - some of the B's had "Silent Shift" on the drive name plate, the dog clutch unit is easy to recognise - if you select fwd or astern and rotate the prop by hand you will hear a clickety clack noise from the dogs. (not woof woof!)
Good luck

plasticbadger

Post by plasticbadger »

Thanks Solitaire, that all makes sense. I have a pile of service parts on the way, but haven’t yet located any diaphragms for the Stormbergs. Do you remember what sort of speed / prop you were running ‘back in the day’?

I’m just planning on getting this sea worthy for now so I can get out on the water while my main project is progressing. Contrary to the previous owner’s for sale add the engine seems sweet apart from a suspect coil. I will know more once I’ve changed the ignition components and impeller and run it for a decent period.

plasticbadger

Post by plasticbadger »

Oh, and I was pretty sure it is the pre-1966 shape
Attachments
F7A89435-5354-43D4-87B2-AA1C3D3AB4C3.jpeg

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

Pretty sure some Triumph classic cars used Strombergs. Sorry I cannot help with the prop size. I started my aprentiship with Meakes in 65 and they had just started to import the Fjord Olympics. and 17ft Fjordlings. I understand yours was the previous model. Well built to DNV quality standard.

plasticbadger

Post by plasticbadger »

If Solitare or someone else could help please...

I’ve had the time to start work on the Fjord. With an ingnition service the engine runs sweet, I just need a coil and then I can run it for a decent length of time. It starts first pull and idles and revs very smoothly.

The AQ100 drive is a bit more of a problem! It’s stuck in reverse gear. I’ve stripped off the shift mechanism to find it’s the cone clutch type and bone dry... I’ve filled it with fresh oil and run it again, but i can’t budge the gear shift. I have the full workshop manuals from a contact at Volvo, but does anyone have any pointers to start with?

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

Disconnect the cable and try to select on the drive lever? -- if the cable is free then undo the bolts that hold the shift lever mechanism on the side of the drive and pull it out, - be careful the shifter selector lever inside is spring loaded - and see if you can move the male cone up and down by hand (into the female cones to engage fwd and reverse). The cones are bronze and polished steel and may be it was left in reverse and just stuck, a gentle tap on the selector cone with a soft drift could pop it out of the reverse cone. If I recall, the oil level is some 5-6 inches down the drive so its possible the cones have remained dry while its been stood!
Sometimes the cones get stuck when motoring ( usually for long periods in ahead), but the selector groove in the male cone is eccentric and the selector driver has the effect of gently hammering the cone out of gear when shifting gear, and with the engine is running.

plasticbadger

Post by plasticbadger »

I hope someone can help with an issue I have with this engine and drive.

I've been struggling with the shift setup still, but it turns out the cause is a seized bearing in the shifter. The bearing is the needle bearing in the shift mechanism, I can't get a size off it easily, I can find a part number for it and I can't find any obviously available.

Can anybody suggest a route for replacement? Or is it a case of machining a bronze bush now?