Healey 55 outboard

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

aquacraftsteve
CMBA Member: 1056

Healey 55 outboard

Post by aquacraftsteve »

Hi, Just to say that I have saved a Healey from being further split up into bits, bought it from Nigel Wheeler who was very helpful in the whole process. :chuffed:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Healey 55 outboard

Post by Rapier »

Is this the one that had a Merc 6 cylinder on it that needed a huge amount of work?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I think so Rapier.

Nice to see you on here Steve, when will we next see you at a meeting??
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

aquacraftsteve

Post by aquacraftsteve »

Hi Both, Yes it is the one with the outboard, or should I say without one but I've got enough to do without worrying about the engine. I initially thought it was a 55 with the engine taken out as it has frames with notches out where the engine bearers would have been. When I got the boat delivered and had a good look at it, it really does appear to be a factory modified outboard boat as there are too many clues that point to this conclusion. The biggest one being the lack of prop shaft hole in the Hog/Keel which looks every bit original including large amount of rot where you would expect it in the lowest section. I bought it because I couldn't bear a Healey being lost and split up for the screen and what was left of the fittings. I haven't even finished the other 55 yet but retirement should be within the next 5 years (61 now) so I'll have more time. I have another big hobby, tennis, this takes up a lot of my time but maybe I'll try and bring my Aquacraft, Whizzbang, to the Poole meet later in the year,
Steve

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

That's great Steve. Is possible someone would have sold the bits and burnt the rest. Hope you enjoy the rebuild.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

aquacraftsteve

Post by aquacraftsteve »

At the moment I don't need an engine as I can put my feet through the bottom like Fred Flintstone!

LitchboroughLitchbor
CMBA Member: 0

Post by LitchboroughLitchbor »

Hi Steve
Any news on your Healey 55 outboard boat?
I presume it is the very rare boat - red, with Merc 6-cylinder, previously used at Wells-next-the- Sea ski club?
The few pictures I've seen look really interesting.
I have a couple of '62 Johnson V4 outboards waiting to be restored and am wondering what type of boat to eventually fit one of them too.
Cheers
Andrew