13' Owens runabout

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

shmbry
CMBA Member: 0

Re: 13' Owens runabout

Post by shmbry »

:hmmm:

I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet. Having spent the equivalent on fibre glass ready to do the job, there goes another Ha'p'orth !

At least there is a firm reasonably close by, KJ Howells who do 1/4 and 1/2 sheets and I can go and see before I buy.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I bought mine locally (for the Fletcher project) from Jewsons, on the strength of a recommendation from Solitaire who'd got a cost effective deal from his local branch. Mine ended up being more because I have a less than straight eye for cutting...gave them the dims and they did the work properly. The ply has sat in my damp garage for a year and hasn't shown signs of mould spotting etc...and it's grain is good, without flaws and voids.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I bought my ply from Sydenham's (Wickham) both BS 1088 and the full on lloyds. Howells are good and good quality but probably the most expensive.

shmbry

Post by shmbry »

Today's episode

Removing the floor after an afternoon chiselling and de-nailing.

I found that the bearers where still quite solid but more importantly some delamination of the encapsulation down the Port side, either form ages of being sat on the same trailer or being bounced.

However the main single piece 8' x 4' 10" floor panel is in surprising good shape (Apart from someone cutting a hole in it for inspection ;) )

The underside

The underside after scrapping, pressure washing, hand drying and a final scrapping.

The top surface is almost pristine. At this point I see no reason why this can't be reused. So I intend to repair the holes, apply 5 litres of Everbuild Lumberjack and relay this section of floor on fresh bearers.

I will be visiting my local reclamation company to see if I can find some well seasoned 1" hardwood boards to use as bearers.

shmbry

Post by shmbry »

Scrapped the idea of reusing the old floor. I'm now looking around for the best deal on new ply. The next problem is marine ply seems only to come in 8' x 4' sheets and the original was 10' x 4' 10", so I'll have to put an extra joint in which means a cross bearer under the joint. I'm also trying to find out how the back to back seats mount so that the new floor has reinforcements/mountings in the right places.

shmbry

Post by shmbry »

Some success with the speedo. Not only was the face damaged but the speedo wasn't actually working. I've nw got it working by drilling out (By hand using thumb and fore finger only!) the hole in the Bourdon tube with a long series 0.5mm drill. it turns out the hole in the Bourdon tube and the union are the same size. having removed the scale deposits the speedo now works and shows 25 knots at 21 PSI, which is the max my airbrush compressor can put out.

Imagephoto sharing websites

I have also been working on a new face having scanned it at a high res.

Imageupload images free

shmbry

Post by shmbry »

Progress !

Now the temperature has crept above 15 degrees on a couple of days I've been able to make some progress. The new transom is in and the floor bearers are done and have been glassed in yesterday. Once the resin has gone off I'll do the final levelling of the bearers before adding the cross braces.

The engine is coming on slowly as I'm having to strip the old paint myself as I couldn't get any interest from local firms to either blast or chemically strip.

shmbry

Post by shmbry »

New 3d printed Ride Guide bush

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Very nice...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Agreed- v clever !