Ski Twin 33

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Ski Twin 33

Post by water_buoy »

I've had a round trip to Plymouth today to pick up the latest eBay bargain :chuffed:
Ski Twin 33
Ski Twin 33
I got the ski twin 33 and a sea horse 25 (in the background) £90 for the two and the guy even threw in the simplex remotes as well :thumbsup:
Simplex
Simplex
The plan is to sell the Johnson for spares as I'm 99% sure it's seized :? and do a complete rebuild and paint on the Evinrude.
Apparently it runs which is a good start and it pretty much seems to have everything present, the only thing which has caught my eye so far is the nasty looking weld job on the cavitation plate so I will probably look out for a spare one if poss.
Cavitation Plate
Cavitation Plate
I'll keep posting info as things progress, I'm planning to start dismantleing things tomorrow :D
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Ski Twin 33

Post by floater »

Nice one, Ski twin looks to be 1969 by the paint, does this herald the move to remotes or are you planning to eat more spinach and hang on to the tiller still :D

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Yeah I'm going to move to remotes for sure, after the Thames trip my arm was killing from holding that tiller all day so I've done a bit more, plus I don't fancy sitting next to this beast at the back :o
I've re painted the control master remote that I had (although I might use this one now instead) and started fitting the steering wheel in place as well so it's starting to look better!
Wheel mock up
Wheel mock up

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Nice, it looks much better than the original pics. There are plenty of spare gearbox housings around as Mike broke up quite a few motors, will be worthwhile doing all the gearbox seals anyway. Keep us posted with pics - I may have some common spares no longer needed, like headgaskets and some new under flywheel bits.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Yeah it seems pretty tidy over all, started stripping a few bits down today and ran into a bit of trouble with the carb, the low speed needle was jammed solid in the top and proceeded to shear off when I tried to remove it :grrr:
LS needle
LS needle
I'm sure there will be plenty more of this to come but has anyone got any recommendations before I get too heavy handed? I'm presuming I'll have to try and drill it out and replace the needle :hmmm:
My other question is about removing the flywheel, is there a particular puller that would suit this engine, rapier I seem to remember you had one at Beaulieu... Where might I buy myself one of those?

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Mine is a proper Bombardier version and was horribly expensive (although probably sourced in china for 25p..). I think you can get away with a comprehensive set like this though - even the conventional mini type would do the job, but may need drilling / sizing? Maybe someone else can confirm. Also find something to hold the flywheel when you need to torque it down. I borrow a Snap On version from time to time, but they're expensive too..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-46PC-HARM ... 232b4f7564

Just about everything on the motor will require heat or soaking and patience - is worse if a motor hasn't been maintained much or is run in salt, with the dissimilar metals involved. So, if it won't come apart immediately don't force it, apply a heat gun or a small blow torch (I have a tiny lighter gas powered one which gets very very hot) to the area, get it hot, but don't melt it... let it cool down and run through a few cycles and be tentative with the sockets / tools - sometimes only extremely high heat from an oxyacetylene will do. If you cook the paint is no issue...I learnt the hard way on an old crouching toad 9.5hp..every fastener broke on it..even though I was breaking it for spares.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

been talking to Healey75 and we will be formally announcing the availability of our CMBA used spares collection in the next mag. I seem to remember several lower units, poss OMC so we may have the bits you need. :perfect:

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Thanks for the tips! I didn't think of using heat to try and free it, good idea, I've got a heat gun that gets up to about 600°C so that ought to do it. Most of the bolts on the powerhead don't look too bad (touch wood) there is a lot of paint on most of them and not much corrosion but time will tell what is underneath the surface.
puddleduck wrote:been talking to Healey75 and we will be formally announcing the availability of our CMBA used spares collection in the next mag. I seem to remember several lower units, poss OMC so we may have the bits you need. :perfect:
That's good news :woo: I'll look forward to finding out more when the mag comes out, it would certainly be more economical than sourcing bits from the states, parts are quite cheap but after you've paid shipping and customs duty it can work out quite pricey :o

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

I have always had more success with naked flame than the heat gun and an impact gun and socket on it's lowest setting,though still manage to wring a few bolts :grrr: .Cobalt bits are the better when that happens :)
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

I'm making progress on stripping down the engine, I got my flywheel puller today and removed the flywheel... To my surprise I found two coils that were actually intact :shock: that's a first for one of these, in fact most of the ignition is in a pretty tidy state except where one of the coils has been set to close to the flywheel and caught it a bit.
I've also got the broken low speed needle out of the carb, I drilled down the centre with a 3.5mm bit and with a combination of heat, WD40 and a screw thread exctractor it came out :D plus a bit of patience this time around!

On the boat side of things the steering, throttle and engine wiring are in now :chuffed: I finally got the wheel finished as well and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.
Finished wheel
Finished wheel