White kiekhaefer 300 Circa 62

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Smile and pay
CMBA Member: 0

White kiekhaefer 300 Circa 62

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi all been a while :-) have been rebuilding a 60 's caravan so project now done tick.
Now the reason for my post
I have a white merc 300 to restore It was longshaft but I have imported a shortshaft matched leg for it,don't ask how much the shipping was from the USA :o ,but the driveshaft is worn in the leg ,and I need to acquire one,the other thing I will need is the tool for the water pump,I know I can get one across the water,anyone found a supplier here?
And No doubt I will need to find some coils and consumable bits all suggestions gratefully received
Best regards Liz

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: White kiekhaefer 300 Circa 62

Post by Rapier »

The 300 is 1960 only; in '61 it was badged 350. Might be worthwhile importing a driveshaft too - depends where it's worn, as the area around the pump can be sleeved and you can shorten the shaft. These motors are few and far between here,so most shafts will be corroded by now - have only seen a dozen motors over 10 years. The tool is available; some Merc dealers have them still and there are a few in the CMBA. The manual is a worthwhile buy too. The housing and seal is one part and IF you're very lucky it can be used again, but they do seize in place Is now NLA, only available in the US from NOS stock. Mercury moved to a conventional housing by 1962, which was a good thing. If the gearbox seals are Ok you can run conventional gear oil in the unit, but they typically take a slushy grease called Lubriplate 105. Also, 11 spline thru exhaust props can be used - the originals are hard to find, heavy (if not ali) and expensive.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi there,
thanks for the info. Must be a 1960 then as its badged up 300, its also electric start,and I have a remote for it but I seem to think its needing an ignition switch will have to check...the guy in the states sent me a new top half for the drive shaft to cut and weld on......think I have seen a picture on here of one you did? ,and I also got a replacement Skeg tip for it as it had a small bit missing....it's got a naff paint job on it what would you recommend to remove the paint? As I would like to do it justice, looked at one of yours on you tube sounded sweet! And looked very nice too, your old lone star and my broom were at our small marina boat show the other day :-)
Thanks for your advice best regards Liz

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sold the 300 last year, but kept my '60 400. I have another e-start 300 project that the baboon spanner team got to already..They're sweet motors. Healey76 did the cut and shut on the shaft, so worthwhile sending him a PM. I sanded them smooth, but kept as much of the decent yellow-green etch primer as I could - is very hard to get off and a very good substrate. I nitromors'd (when it stripped paint..) one lid though as I wanted the definition in shape - too much primer and paint means they don't look as sharp. The 400 on the right was black hammerite, mostly picked off with a scalpel one cold winter. When you spray it; find a good primer - a nice poisonous US one outlawed by the EU! I use this now..having used Acid-8 before. Always nice to see classic boat displays - Se7en's a veteran and his boat attracts all the interesting people. My number's in the mag if you're ever down this way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-LIGHT-YEL ... 3a936ea690
Attachments
Picture 349 (Medium).jpg

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I think Rapier may mean Healey75 . . . :hmmm:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Yes, Healey75 - varifocal malfunction.

Smile and pay

Re: White kiekhaefer 300 Circa 60

Post by Smile and pay »

Thanks very much for the advice have purchased a tin of paint from ebay, I am taking the shaft and Skeg to a chap in brum that repairs the bikes for the motorcycle museum,
If I am in you neck of the woods I will pop in for a waft of 2 stroke fumes :D
Had a job getting onto the forum last week not sure why
Regs Liz

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Not sure why its loaded 2 pictures the same but at least I loaded a couple
Regs liz
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 8230 times

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi there I have just started to take the leg off and have slackened off the bolts under the engine pan,But before going any further, would anyone kindly suggest the order in which it needs to come apart? I am assuming the leg has to split at the gearbox to release the gear rod,but would like some advice please ,my aim is to take off the long shaft leg and replace it with a short shaft leg.

Best regards Liz

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

That's it basically. Remove any wiring, vent and fuel lines. Thump exhaust side of powerhead with your hand while holding the lower tray and the gasket should give way. Have you a manual - I got my pre '65 from ebay on a CD, in the days when the paper copies were £50 a pop. Should be easy to find now.