3 to 4hp Johnson / Evinrude / Gale

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

3 to 4hp Johnson / Evinrude / Gale

Post by Rapier »

These motors are a delight to own and an ideal dinghy day motor. Unchanged since the 50s, they're 2 pot, powerful, light and with a number of gearbox options, including a weedless variant and a folding mid-section version. Earlier mid-sections are the skinnier variety. I think the block remained unchanged through to the 90s... They run on 50:1 mix, post '62. I've only one now - a '67 Johnson JW, that came free with a job lot of Johnson 40s. It's currently in the throes of a clean up, having been fixed, but never finished.

They can be found on ebay running and nice for around £50-£120. Folding stock versions are desirable, especially if they have their GRP storage box. A service pack of coils, points, condensers, plugs and impeller will set one back £140, so don't bother with a non-runner unless is in good unmolested order.
Attachments
1971 4hp
1971 4hp
1969 4hp - Europe bitsa model only
1969 4hp - Europe bitsa model only
ca 1964 3hp weedless prop
ca 1964 3hp weedless prop
1962 3hp normal prop
1962 3hp normal prop
1969 3hp Johnson
1969 3hp Johnson
ca 1965 3hp folding leg
ca 1965 3hp folding leg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Re: 3 to 4hp Johnson / Evinrude / Gale

Post by Rapier »

Mine has a fuel supply problem - lots of gunk in the carb, tank and filter. Carb cleaner got rid of it, helped by a handful of stainless nuts swished around the tank, producing a gritty sediment..

The filter often breaks off at the tap, a small inline filter usually does the trick.

Blocks often show paint loss - this is normal, as they came in that red oxide colour and were sprayed whatever colour the motor / brand was.
Attachments
Picture 004 (Large).jpg
Picture 003 (Large).jpg
Picture 001 (Large).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Got most of the sediment of the tank over 3 days, with a bucketful of nuts and various chemicals. I don't trust that I've got it all out, so have fitted a small inline filter (these motors can also be easily converted to external tank with a standard OMC fuel pump.. :geek: ) and threw away the old AC 44 marine plugs. Runs like a top now and is ready for a good run up river.
Attachments
Picture 006 (Large).jpg
Picture 005 (Large).jpg

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

Great little engines these, I ran lady s on the evinrude Lightwin variant for ages on the rivers and it pushed it along just fine, great on fuel too!
I didn't realise there was an inner tank filter though, I was never brave enough to take the tap out for fear of snapping it off :?
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

The later ones had a form of PTFE tape around the tap, which makes it easier to unscrew, otherwise I would have left it too. I had the Evinrude version with the folding leg, which I really liked and used on a 17ft Old Town canoe, with 2 up it used to fly - easier cowl to put back on too! Sold both when I got my Broom Rapier. :juggle:

Jrcdlc
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Jrcdlc »

Hello there :)

Just wondering if you have an idea of roughly the weight of the evinrude in the second picture. 1969 4hp - Europe bitsa model only.

Many thanks

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I think the bitsas are around 13.5kg, close to a modern 'tohatsu' 2.5-3.5.

Jrcdlc
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Jrcdlc »

Ok, thanks. I think it will be perfect for an old rowing boat I have. Unfortunately I can not find any information online about this model and the condition of the one I am getting is unknown. Would you be so kind to plaint me in the right direction for some basic information to get it running please? I really can’t find anything online. Thanks.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

This guy got me started nearly 20 years ago. The 3hp is ostensibly the same motor as the 4hp (which has a better fixed jet amal carb) I bought parts from him, but there are a few dealers around (or others on ebay) that will supply just about everything you need for basic service items, points, condensors, coils, impellers etc. If it's unknown I'd heat and extract the cylinder head bolts and check the waterways...they're tiny and fur up. For parts, try Mike VIncent at South Coast Marine, Hank at American Marine, or Lance at Outboard Spares Unlimited. I bought a proper OMC flywheel puller when I started. And don't pay more than 20-30 quid for a clean non-runner, all the service parts may set you back £130 or so, factor in your labour, and a few broken bolts and it all adds up.

https://maxrules.com/fixtuneitup.php