My new toy

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

My new toy

Post by haventaclue »

Didn't make the Beaulieu Jumble last Sunday but there was a first in Donegal.Thanks Fergal. :thumbsup:
Wasn't looking for anything in particular but spotted an old Seagull.
"How Much for the auld engine?" "£20, All it needs is a new spark plug" says he."Done" says I,praying that that word wouldn't be prophetic. :lol:
First thing I discovered was how hard it is to get an A-6 NGK or a Champion D16 or any other plug cross referenced with it. :o To the gentleman who owns the tractor dealership,thank you very much.
Manufactured in February 1965,yes bless the www. Everything cleaned,new gear oil,carburettor cleaned,points cleaned,fresh fuel @ 8:1,it's been lying awhile,reassembled,checked everything again,smile on face,after all,it only needed a plug,and proceeded to pull,and pull and pull and that word crossed my mind,"Done" Had that :help: feeling
9.30pm and I quit.And sat in front of the computer reading and reading.
6.30am this morning,questioning my sanity :hmmm: ,I started again,read and reread..Followed all advice on the Seagull forums.Proceeded to engage in some limb threatening stupidity :oops: ,well I was getting desperate,with a drill and large socket.Spark checked,resistance checked,carburettors cleaned,again
Then I remembered SOS Save Old Seagulls had a phone number,spoke to the gentleman who runs it,John Williams,went through all I had done "Did you check the timing? As it was worked on before,maybe the backplate wasn't put back right" So back to the backyard.
Who in their right mind messes with factory fixed timing? :grrr: :grrr: Third pull and away she went.A little tweaking with the carb and :woo: :woo:
So to John Williams :drink: :drink:
Attachments
Seagull 3.jpg
Going to need plenty of steel wool and baby oil
Going to need plenty of steel wool and baby oil
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: My new toy

Post by Rapier »

40+? I found a 25 to 1 jet and mine is no longer known as The Smoke Monster.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

A mate of mine whose interest lies more with old bikes and cars was given a really nice 40+ which I have been trying to prize from his hands with no luck. We ran it on my little dinghy on the local canal and it was a joy I have also been trying to convince him to buy a dinghy of his own for it. I have lately been tinkering with a couple of Anzani pilots so I have something suitably old, rattly and smokey for dinghy day. Surprised me that whilst there is tons of info on the net for seagulls there is pretty much nothing regarding Anzani

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I have just bought this - anyone know what model it might be?

Should be nice for a dinghy day along with my recent Mallard acquisition - if either of them work! :hmmm:

Not collected the Anzani yet, so no idea what its like . . .
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Strange you should ask - is the Super Single model - the last time I saw this motor (I picked up my '65 350 from him) I thought it was a long shaft? He likes Mercs...

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Nice one Havenentaclue :thumbsup: You might also get a bit of help here https://www.facebook.com/ClassicSeagulls?fref=ts

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Rapier wrote:40+?
It is indeed.I have read that pre '67 should be kept at 10:1,but that some had been run on a leaner mix,so do I take the chance? :hmmm: Not yet.I do need a new needle,slight bend in it,no not my doing. :) So much for "Just needs a plug",not pumping water,but is running,so trying to remove that bloody screw between the exhaust and drive tubes.No room to get a screwdriver and hand in between.I feel a "drill the head off" operation coming on.
:(
sean-nós wrote:Nice one Havenentaclue :thumbsup:
That's open to debate,sean-nós, :lol: But next week will tell the story.The only problem now is I require a vaccination for this damm disease,"old outboardititis" :hilarious:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

haventaclue wrote:I have read that pre '67 should be kept at 10:1,but that some had been run on a leaner mix,so do I take the chance?
They say if you use them sparingly to continue to run on 10:1. My advice though is yes, for the environment, your pocket & and your garage floor (although a shopping bag tied around the prop & leg will keep drips at bay). I think mine is a '56, but the original below was a '62 and ran happily for years on 25:1 mix.

http://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/b ... ion-needle

These are useful too. Though not at that price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seagull-outbo ... 20e4b28ba2
Attachments
107-0783_IMG (Large).JPG

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

That is a nice looking seagull :perfect: I was wondering am I missing the black cover over the carb,but I see it is an optional part.I think it might be a good investment.I also see the spanner new at £7.50 but I'll just borrow my neighbours Whitworths.I need the exercise.
I'll be sticking to the 10:1 in that case as I don't get out as often as I would like :( But I'll get both needles anyway and I'm thinking I'll need an impeller as well,plastic does not like heat :grrr: At least I'm assuming that's what the smell was. As my ever patient better half asks,"Why do you have to take everything apart?" Sometimes I wonder about that myself :hmmm: ,and the answer I keep giving myself "To see how it works." :hilarious: :D

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Long gone though - prompted the acquisition of another more tatty one below that came as a job lot of Johnnyrudes - I missed it so much. I often see quite nice ones, but they're not worth much - too mass produced. They're just fun to have. I had this Century 100 years ago, but sold it - was very heavy, for little gain on the canoe - although it had the advantage of a clutch to disengage the drive - it was very nice and sold well.

That cover is either plastic or ali - I think the choke flap fits in it (garage is in a state..so checking is hard..) and you can buy a 'storm' cover for it too.

Like that attitude, until I met various club members I seldom had the confidence to pull things apart. Hope you have fun and get it going..if not, there are plenty around.
Attachments
Picture 2019 (Large).jpg
Picture 021 (Large).jpg