Antique outboard run

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Antique outboard run

Post by Rapier »

Bought this classic '60s Sea King cartopper as a platform to run various old fishing-style motors from a 1927 Elto onwards... In the US the AOMCI have regular on-water meets and I plan to do similar, perhaps an informal one day river run (ideally freshwater and away from too many locks..), or 2 day event camping overnight (near a pub)? Any other suggestions? Possible venues?

If anyone interested, please post below.

Attachments
P1130532 (Medium).JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Re: Antique outboard run

Post by water_buoy »

I'd be up for a camping river run, sounds good! I'll have a word with the old man as he's canoed and camped on most rivers around the country so might have some good suggestions.
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Sounds great to me, Moonman has said he can sort out a quiet backwater where we could do it on the Thames I believe. B&B in a nearby pub sounds good to me, although I need to buy a tent for Cardiff this year.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Always fancied a dinghy day :thumbsup:
Attachments
Seagull Test July 2011 20B.jpg

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Thats it - the CMBA Dinghy Day! :thumbsup:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I'll second that!

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Lovely Idea - (close to home if on the Thames) did you know that quite a few of the locks have pretty good camping facilities, and often near a good pub for ale and food (perhaps Moonman can recommend something !) - plenty of good slips - I,m within a mile of the river on the upper reaches (OX135LP) - glad to help in anyway I can....

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

I launch at the top of the Thames (Lechlade) it's £5 to launch and park a car and trailer overnight if you need to. There's about four pubs and four locks over the course of a 2 hour (ish) trip down river but I haven't been further than that yet.
Just thought I'd input the options from my end :)
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

moonman

Post by moonman »

I can arrange a day around the Cookham area, there are quite a few quite backwaters here . Also a few slipways locally one by Cookham bridge the other at Marlow although trailer parking is very limited at both!
Cookham lock also has a small campsite with a basic toilet block and shower. There are also two pubs in the Cookham to Marlow reach
How about September time , a few less boats around by then . I would avoid Bank Holidays as they are busy if the weather is good.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Both sound fab - Sept at Cookham with Moonman and whenever Water Bouy can organize from Lechlade? Am slapping varnish on the remnants of the Oregan pine? Seats of project x in anticipation of the Thames run, though may not make it in time...