Evinrude fast twin flywheel removal

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Smile and pay
CMBA Member: 0

Evinrude fast twin flywheel removal

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi this is my first posting so here we go. I am working on an evinrude fastwin 18 hp serial number 15028-19734 I have reached the point where I have one plug with a spark ,so my next job was to remove the flywheel,all suggestions welcome!
It does not appear to have any puller threads I have watched a couple of you tube videos showing the block of wood technique to remove,but thought I would ask the question first. I have undone the fly wheel bolt, there is a plate with three big screws and that is still in situ .many thanks liz

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Evinrude fast twin flywheel removal

Post by sean-nós »

I used a harmonic balancer on my one.

Are you sure you don't have 3 holes near the centre of the flywheel, you can see mine here bottom left.

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi great Thank you ! I had not removed the little oval/rounded trianglular plate off the top I can see now where the holes are under it, many thanks! of to the motor spares shop for the tool Regards liz

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Remember the bolts that you get with the tool may not be the same tread as the ones in the flywheel so you might need to get new ones to match "imperial to metric".
Good luck.
Here is a link to the one I did it be of some help. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3797

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Very useful thank you.. I am assuming that there will be a cruddy set of points under there that are stopping it working
But I suppose it can be a plug lead also but will start with the points ta!

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

The coils are known to fall apart after a bit if time so it's worth getting the whole kit also make sure the condenser wire is well away from the flywheel.

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

This afternoon I got the fly wheel off using the afore mentioned tool :notworthy: it came off with such a bang I daren't look but all was well ,I will take your advise and get coils points and condensers although the points look as clean as a whistle..and not pitted. Any suggestions of where to get them from thanks liz

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I have used Sierra pattern parts in the past as I think the coils are better than the originals. You can get them mail order from :-
http://www.keypart.com/contactus.aspx

Sierra parts catalogue here :- http://issuu.com/marineteleflex/docs/jo ... 29/2600883

Genuine OMC parts catalogue to help with cross reference here:- http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1 ... 5c82194cf7

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

They were used for quite a long time so most marine should stock them, I'm in Ireland so can't help much with local shops but someone else might know. Failing that ebayhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OMC-Johnson-Evinru ... 1051171327

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Great thank you both for the info, I have an account with keypart so that can be my first port of call, they dont look to complicated to take off,but I will wait til I get the new ones so I can remember how they go on again , I am thinking of putting this engine on my broom viscount, but then again I am tempted by the tower of power :giggle: