What the Easter bunny gave me today!

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

gfgarland
CMBA Member: 0

What the Easter bunny gave me today!

Post by gfgarland »

I am absolutely chuffed with this my latest acquisition. This is a 1955 Mercury Mark 55 in stunning original condition. it sat in a dealer showroom in the States for years until it was purchased by one of my mates who just sold it to me. Very little usage and it shows. The paint is all original as is the rest of the engine and is a true restoration reference engine if there ever was one! There pictures are poor but I was pretty excited so I rushed things a bit. Better snaps are on the way with lots of detail shots. It will get a very careful and sympathetic restoration, no new paint or decals but the seals, bearings, hoses and some gaskets will have to be replaced due to age. Can't wait to get it running !
Attachments
100_2219.JPG
100_2215.JPG
100_2217.JPG

gfgarland

Re: What the Easter bunny gave me today!

Post by gfgarland »

Another view.
Attachments
100_2218.JPG

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Very nice :thumbsup: :notworthy:

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I live in hope that some day I'LL have that kind of luck.Enjoy :drink: :wot:
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

What a gem! Always amazed at how advanced these were for their time and how even the cowl / paint designs were spot on. Look forward to hearing more; have you a boat(s) that you run your motors on?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

What a gorgeous find George, lucky even for over there. A dream come true. Keep us posted.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

gfgarland

Post by gfgarland »

To be honest, luck has nothing to do with it, I just have very,very good friends! Most of my engines I get like this one are from leads from them. And yes, I do have a lovely little Sangstercraft I am restoring to run them on! At least it keeps me out of the pubs. ;)