12 gallon tank

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

12 gallon tank

Post by Rapier »

Strange how evocative a pic is...saw this on ebay. We had one and a standard Quicksilver 6 gallon version. The 6 gal was the ski tank and both were filled to the brim for day trips we did from our cottage to a place called Cape Maclear about 30 miles up the lake in out boat (powered by a '68 Mercury 650). Cape Maclear was one of David Livingstone's mission stations where people generally died like flies from malaria, even then I'd look at the map and feel sad for the radicals who were now buried in 'graves' marked in monument script. Cape Maclear was, for awhile, the stopover for BOAC's Short Solent flying boat service, but the road to the main road was 11 miles of dirt and sick inducing and until the mid 1970s even the main road was dirt, southbound for another 80 miles. Nothing quite like 80 miles at 30-40mph, everything rattled in the car and bits fell off and the grit and dust meant even smoking was done with the windows up, esp when it was dry season. There was a Hotel at Cape Maclear in the 70s when we used to visit, but I remember it was a dire place that we avoided, and it had no fuel - the sole purpose of the trips was to snorkel around Otter Point; Lake Malawi being renown for it's indigenous varieties of cyclids. The old hands said that the elephant, that were populous at one stage, used to swim out to the islands off the peninsular - I couldn't imagine elephant swimming...We'd have a cracking day out, returning well cooked and just in time to winch the boat up on the beach before the sun went down...and I'd then have to carry that tank back up to the house. Still remember how the handles would bite and titch muscles strain even with it's now empty weight.
Attachments
$(KGrHqJHJFMFErQr90zOBRLTY7VmsQ~~60_57.JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: 12 gallon tank

Post by Tremlett 15 »

That's the same tank I have in T 15.......12 Gal (US)......yes heavy when empty or full.

Don't think the cap in the pic is original, had our tank since early 70's.

:wot:

:drink: