Quicksilver Commander 2000

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Quicksilver Commander 2000

Post by Rapier »

Took this to pieces today, is an 8 pin loom for some of the 80s Mercurys. I am the world's foremost expert on Mercury remote controllers now, but despite my diligence there was a flat stainless washer over :oops: I thought I'd nail it down by looking at the EPC, but it doesn't exist on the part list.. Normal story though too much grease, ham fisted operator etc etc, but it was cheap compared to the £100+ I normally see them for.

Years ago Scandal took our Broom Saturn to the Falmouth Rally, in the rush to get it ready I'd fitted the only MerControl I had, finding out too late that the quadrant was for the sub 20hp, which works the opposite to the 35hp and above. We had no time to fit a kill switch either, relying on choking the motor to kill it. To cut a long story short, the (nameless) gentleman at the helm slips the remote into 'reverse', in order to get out of the tight spot under ramp, at the museum. Said Saturn takes off forward into, and up the wall at 3000rpm ...the quadrant on the remote then jams and only a mad scramble downhill to the motor to choke it off saves the day. :hilarious: Anyone who owns a Saturn knows now why that chrome on brass bow piece is there....
Attachments
Picture 009 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Quicksilver Commander 2000

Post by Alacrity »

Hmmm, I remember it well! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Quicksilver Commander 2000

Post by Rapier »

:D Moral of the story..always take a screwdriver to a boat jumble..and always fit a kill switch.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...