Mercury 7.5hp blue band

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Re: Mercury 7.5hp blue band

Post by bigminiandy »

thanks for all the replys. Still haven't got the serial number. Just didn't have time to have a proper look at it when I got it home last night here are some photos tho. The guy I had it from gave me the invoice from when he bought it which was in april 1975 and it states on the invoice that it was a used item.

Seems to be in quite nice condition. Under the hood there isn't any corrosion other than one of the spark plugs. Gonna built a stand tomorrow and then start the service and so on
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Looks like a 72-73 If I could zoom in a bit more I could read the number :D

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Not having the time to look it over I think the sticker with the number on is damaged. Is it printed/stamped any where else?

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

You might find a small aluminium disc that looks like a frost bung on the block with the number on it. :hmmm:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Decals are 1972. 1973 lost the 'Kiekhaefer' from the face plate so it said Mercury Marine instead. See here for the '73 decals.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Looks very unmolested. Is it set up to run on remotes too?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Its only set up for tiller at the moment which for the time being is ok as it'll be used on the inflatable dinghy I had from the same guy. Will change to remotes for the Cocktail boat

Sad story really. The guy bought the inflatable boat, a C-Craft C100 new in 1975 and get the outboard at the same time (used). Looks like the motor was 3 years old at the time. The whole rig was used by him, his wife and his son(15 at the time) for 8 years and then his son died aged 23 and neither the boat or the motor got used again but weren't sold off because they hold so many good memories. The motor was started every 3-4 years just to see if it would go. 3 months ago the chap was diagnosied with heart failure and he's selling of bits and pieces that he doesn't want his wife to deal with once he's gone. They were put on ebay by a friend of theirs and after I first viewed it (only 15 minutes down the road)I decided I wanted it. Even gave me two fuel tanks and hoses with the correct fitments although I dare say the rubber lines as way past their best. They also can me the puncture repair kit for the dinghy which has never been used and they also gave me the original brochure and user manuals.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

:wot:

:drink:

Music Man
CMBA Member: 762

Post by Music Man »

Pretty much as expected.

This club and forum is brill for this, the way everyone pulls together to share information :thumbsup:

Fantastic

:wot:

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Thanks T15 thats fantastic.

Built a stand yesteday to save it lying on the floor and save my back. Plus it makes it loads easier to work on. Have to agree with Music Man thats whats great about the club. I wouldn't have bought a motor from 1972 without knowing we (the collective we) had the knowledge to put things right and help me along the way.

Cheers Guys