Mercury 7.5hp blue band

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Mercury 7.5hp blue band

Post by bigminiandy »

Hi does anybody have a manual for one of these motors please, or a photo copy of the appropriate pages on how to change the water impeller. Never worked on an outboard what so ever so a steep learning curve im sure compared to the marinised car motors im used too.

Also could anybody tell me how to date the motor. I know the last owner has had it since 1975 but he's unsure if it was 5/6/7/8 years when he bought it

Many thanks
Andy
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Music Man
CMBA Member: 762

Re: Mercury 7.5hp blue band

Post by Music Man »

Hi Andy

If its like the outboards I've worked on there will be normally 3 screws under the cavitation plate of the leg normally including the anode, if you remove these scews the lower leg normally will tap off with the use of a copper hide mallet and the hide end. Normally the gear shaft stays in the engine and the drive shaft stays in the gear box.

The water pump is normally mounted on the top of the lower unit and you remove a couple of screws to find the impeller.

I have done a few on various outboards and this is nearly always the case. While in bits worth checking the oil for water and change seals in gearbox if required.

Not a big job and fiddley job to relocate shafts you may need to wiggle gear linkage to relocate shafts and gently turn shaft etc.

You will do it no probs.

Have a go it should only take an hour or so to sort!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Gaz :thumbsup:

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

I have the Merc manual upto 1974 and the manual 1974 to 1978

do you have the serial No handy ?

I will scan the page from each & could email them

send your email via a PM

:wot:

:drink:

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Cheers gaz. Easy enough then!

Will be collecting it later day. The last time the motor ran was 3 years ago and the chap can't remember when he had the impeller changed so thought it was best. Motor hasn't been used properly for many years, last time was in a wheelie bin.

Idea is for now it'll be used on an inflatable but once the cocktail boat is built it'll find a new home on that.

Brilliant news T15. Once I've collected it I'll send you a PM.

Thanks Guys

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Sound great for cocktail boat.

Easy job. I also have a mercury pump for replacing the gear oil in the lower leg. You screw the pipe into lower drain hole and fill till oil comes out of the higher screw which is the level indicator when engine vertical you can borrow any time.

Cheers

Gaz

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Excellent. I almost ordered one earlier but that would be great. I like it when a plan comes together

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

The 7.5 and 9.8 are the same cc/cu (180/10.9), so a carb change is supposed to give you 8.5hp and carb and reeds will boost it to a full 9.8hp. Even the 7.5hp will be much more powerful than the 6hp OMC's normally used...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

I did see somewhere recently while researching the motors that in belgium there were some that were restricted right down to 6hp so they would enable people to use them in belgium with paying for a licence. Many didn't stay as 6hp from what I under stand.

Since the cocktail boats we introduced the rules have changed regarding motors. I was first of all any 6hp motor that dated from before 1976 now they allow upto 8hp of the same age but this all depends upon your weight. The heavier you are the more power you get. Me being 20+ stone am aloud the full fat 8hp motor :D

Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Americano that the boys built planes well with me in it using 8hp I do need to lie across the bow a bit to get it over the hump then I can sit back and enjoy the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoqK6pU99bM

have a laugh on me. :wot: fat guy in a boat

Cheers

Gaz

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

As T15 says serial no will help i.d. it but so will pictures. I don't think the 7.5 has an anode just 3 or so quite obvious nuts to remove. Be VERY careful when removing the lower unit & don't tap the cavitation plate - you will break it as it is very brittle.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!