Project Mercury 35hp '88

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Project Mercury 35hp '88

Post by Rapier »

Not strictly an antique, but this is one of the last of a hugely successful twin 35hp that had been available to the market since 1966. Whereas the '66 was powered by under flywheel coils, points and condensers, the later models have modern ignition and better reliability, but lose the bling with nasty plastic faceplates and a redesign of the upper cowl and powerhead tray which doesn't allow a retrofit of the anodised ali used in the 70s.

This one was bought on ebay for next to nothing (always put a reserve on a listing if you know what that listing is worth...). It was a so-called runner, so the joke may still be on me, but has a complete powerhead, with electric start and is very clean. It is to go on a nice freshwater project short shaft 35hp, which has possible issues.

The gearbox was u/s - one can guess why. Anyway here's a pic of the tilt assist too, which I thought was PT&T...not sure how it works, as my manual is for a late 70s 40 (this is a de-rated 40hp). Finally got it out my car today, from pickup at Poole....thanks Alacrity :thumbsup: .
Attachments
Picture 002 (Large).jpg
Picture 001 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Project Mercury 35hp '88

Post by Alacrity »

Not sure it's a de-rated 40 Rapier, it was Merc's prop rated version of the old 40, same power. Their figures were a little arbitrary when they went prop rated I think. For example the 80 4 pot & the inline 6 motors all shared the same gearbox & waterpump so the loss should be similar when comparing crank HP to propshaft you would think. So say for example the gearbox & pump assy absorbed 10hp to drive it then all ratings should, I would have thought dropped by 10hp. Not so in this example, the crank rated 140 dropped to 115, the crank rated 115 to 90 but the crank rated 80 to 75 :? Similarly the Merc 50 became 45 & the 40 35 (same gearbox & pump).

Now children, is all that as clear as mud? ;)
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sorry, meant re-rated. Any ideas about the tilt?

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Nope, I will check but I don't think it is covered in any of my manuals. Google search (or just ask Se7en! tomorrow).

Have fun on your Itchy termorra. :wild:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

not sure if you worked out the ptt yet, it looks very similar to the one on my previous mariner 60. single ram, with pump alongside tucked inside the saddle/bracket. Only seen/reached with the motor up,it does both trim and tilt as opposed to the double ram versions of earlier mercs. To tilt you just pump right up then drop the old fashioned safety latches and I used to tilt down a little just ot take the load off the ram seals and rest on the metal catches.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

I'm sure this isn't PTT, its just some kind of tilt assist/damping system. The in saddle PTT that I have on my 115 is different to this & of course has power to it for the pump.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I see wires that run out of the motor? on the right. It weighs almost as much as a non e-start shorty 50 disty....

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Do you mean the red & black cables? If so they are the main power cables for the starter.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Not sure this is a Power tilt, as Alacrity says, it looks like that gas tilt assist system, if its power tilt it will have three wires going to the pump motor, and two solinodes to work it under the cowl .

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Alacrity wrote:Do you mean the red & black cables? If so they are the main power cables for the starter.
No, from the pump motor. All covered up now, but will check over the weekend.