Project Chrysler

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Project Chrysler

Post by Rapier »

I have pressed on with my bottom-shelf motor, oblivious to certain derogatory comments at Poole and mutterings from neighbours about lowering the tone...The nasty fuel pump, requiring drilling out broken studs and Bond-like dexterity, is now back in postion, complete with new diaphram.

The gearbox has given up it's last ooze of old oil and is refilled with new fill / vent washers and I hope to get it remounted this week. Grinding paste is en-route, as the flywheel needs to be lapped and I treated myself to a timing light to go with the Merc-o-tronic Acrotime to get the timing done. Not an expert at that, so it should be thrilling and will probably involve call-a-(long suffering) friend.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Been battling for weeks on this one. Setup the timing per the manual, with a dial guage, checked and set points, then setup the syncronisation, which was way out at WOT, flywheel lapped, put it all together a few weeks back, connected fuel, filled drum, fresh battery - all normal stuff. Turned the key and gave it some choke, a cough or two, followed by a huge backfire :shock:. Back to the drawing board & dodging the rain and cold and long conversations about what 'could' be wrong with the timing :juggle: . Just didn't make sense and I eventually couldn't see the wood for the trees. Ultimately I have the internet to thank - a great chap :notworthy: on the Fiberglassics site took the time to explain and I poured over my 3 relevant factory manuals in between work. He then took stacks of photos of his 55s stator plate; I looked up images on the net of many more and printed them all out, compared them over a few hours and after awhile I came to the niggling conclusion :hmmm: the breaker cam was upside down. I'd had no reason to remove it when cleaning the stator plate / bearing carrier, months ago, but I can't help thinking of the previous owner(s) relegating it to the shed for 25 years because they couldn't get it to run. The cam is marked by the way, so how it ended up that way is anyone's guess :hilarious:

p.s it idles beautifully now. :chuffed: I can spend some time on the rest of it knowing it's 'viable'. :drink:
Attachments
Picture 040 (Medium).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

This came in time for christmas, bit of jewellery for the Chryslers.
Attachments
Picture (Medium).jpg

650xs
CMBA Member: 0

Post by 650xs »

well done love this i have a few old chrysler too so you have given me kick up arse to sort out and collect some more
fancey a big one now got little 9.9 and 35hp will keep look out for large one 85/100..115 etc nice resto and info like like like .....jon

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Thanks, Hank at American Marine has been a mine of info for parts - I won't go higher in hp than the 55 as all my boats are short shaft transoms. Have been warned off Chrylser Prestolite ignition systems ... Currently looking for a cleanish early to mid-60's pre Chrylser, West Bend 45hp or 50hp.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

This weekend has been another lesson in the joys of outboard renovation :heat: . I'd struggled with getting enough cooling water in the test phase of this motor. A neighbour had donated a 210l 'plastic' drum which I stupidly cut in half rather than 2/3rds and followed Alactrity's wheeze of flliing from the bottom with a hoselock thingy. For short shaft Mercs it's fine and the OMCs can be run on the Flushette, but the Chrysler needs to be properly under water. I kept getting it hot, so have gone with a slimmer 'plastic' drum cut high, think is 180l which will do the trick. I do not want to paint it until it works properly, but starting is instantaneous though :woo:

I digress, but the engine seemed to be off kilter on it's stand - the tilt bolt had freshly sheared, so I ordered it and a reverse lock cable (the knob type) off the shelf from Hank at American Marine. To cut a long story short, it took most of the weekend to free it all off. A blowtorch, multitool cutter and almost every tool I have to cajole, beat and moer to get it out including 4 broken drill bits. I now know why the later models had grease nipples.. :roll:
Attachments
Picture 044 (Medium).jpg
Picture 052 (Medium).jpg
Picture 051 (Medium).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

All back together, resprayed and greased up.
Attachments
Picture 058 (Medium).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Before and after..
Attachments
Picture 084 (Large).jpg
Picture 068 (Large).jpg
Picture 001 (Large).jpg

carl minshall

Post by carl minshall »

Hi, Nick
Great work and paint, I will have to get a move on with my west bend.
Carl.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Saw yours on the 'glassics site - looking very nice Carl. Hope to get mine on the water in time for the Ivy Lake meet, as have only test run it in the drum. What paint did you use?