1962-65 Merc 100hp Wanted For Shakespeare Avon Special

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Richnash67
CMBA Member: 0

1962-65 Merc 100hp Wanted For Shakespeare Avon Special

Post by Richnash67 »

Hi, I know its a needle in a haystack, but never the less ,I keep trawling the internet in hope.....

I am due to restore Bill Shakespeares 1962 Avon Special, The Boat used to run a 100Hp Mercury, so I,m keeping a keen eye out for one, if you hapen to either have one for sale, know of one, or spot one on the internet, could you please give me a shout, Thanks

LaDauphine

Re: 1962-65 Merc 100hp Wanted For Shakespeare Avon Special

Post by LaDauphine »

I have a good idea where one is, having sold one a few yesrs ago. can't date it exactly, though.

PM me if interested.

R

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Long or short shaft needed?
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Richnash67

Post by Richnash67 »

Alacrity wrote:Long or short shaft needed?
Its a long shaft as the transom is 20", I have found a stunning motor in the states, hopefully it will be in my workshop soon!

Thanks for the reply, best wishes, Rich

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Congratulations :drink: .I would be interested in how much it cost to ship,not airmail I'm thinking :lol: And how long it takes to get to you.Plan in back of my mind and trying to work out how to con :twisted: ,sorry, persuade my ever patient wife into letting me carry it out. :lol:
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Richnash67

Post by Richnash67 »

haventaclue wrote:Congratulations :drink: .I would be interested in how much it cost to ship,not airmail I'm thinking :lol: And how long it takes to get to you.Plan in back of my mind and trying to work out how to con :twisted: ,sorry, persuade my ever patient wife into letting me carry it out. :lol:
Hi, well the guy I was dealing with on the Mercury, seemed to think I was trying to scam him, O.K I,m sending him $5000 and he seemed to think I was going to scam him as I asked for a sort code and account numberto pay him," I have heard someone in the U.K is trying to scam sellers out of Engines and Cash, I,m not saying you are that person, But................"
My interest in the deal was finished at "But..." Then went on to tell me companies he has dealt with in the U.K and that I should call them and check him out to prove he was straight.......... Very Bizzare !!, thought it was safer to deal with someone else at that point...

I am dealing with another guy who has a mint 62 100hp Merc and who is also an ace Merc Mechanic, the motor is like the day it came out of the factory and $1500 cheaper than the other, which had apparently never been run..

Shipping prices from the U.K came in at around £525, organised from the states the quotes were aroun £400, but remember the lovely HMRC will slap 20% Vat on top of you purchase and shipping costs... nice.

As to the wife, I,m in the middle of remodeling the kitchen and she want's Sparkling Quartz worktops.....
Easy eh !! :hilarious: , oh and Boots, they work great...
Attachments
AvonSpecialTrophys.jpg
AvonSpecialnow.jpg
1962 BB Trials Yachts and Yachting.jpg

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

That wouldn't be a bad price for shipping. Boots :hmmm: :hmmm: River Island here I come :hilarious: Here's a link to a site I came across http://classicmercuryoutboards.com/ :drink:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

He does some nice work does Darrell. Other useful Mercury sites are Johns Old Mercs & Mercury Outpost both US based but they have some interesting stuff going on there & most of it on fresh water! :twisted:

For you strange breed who like OMC stuff :? there is JEGO

I brought a 1970 1350 short shaft over from the US a couple of years ago but was lucky to get the motor brought in with a work consignment so that reduced cost dramatically. I booked the shipping from the vendor to the shippers online & the company I booked online with used Yellow Freight as a carrier. A month or so later I had major grief with them as they were trying to charge me over double again & would not accept all the original booking forms/payment receipts emailed confirmation I had received that I forwarded to them, I would have just ignored them but they started going for the vendor in the US & that wasn't fair. TBH I think there was a form he should have been given to fill in by the collecting driver but either he didn't get it or he didn't fill it in but it took weeks & dozens of emails & phone calls to get it sorted. Just a warning, I'm sure I was just unlucky, but be careful with the shippers, I did all I could but it was a bit of a nightmare.

There is always talk among CMBA members about getting a container load of US sourced engines etc. over to the UK. It would involve a few of us having a fun shopping trip over there but the biggest issue is having someone trustworthy over there to coordinate & load the container so we don't end up with a container full of scrap.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Richnash67

Post by Richnash67 »

Hi, I joined "Johns old Merc" Forum and the guys over there have been fantastic, several of the members contacted me about outboards for sale, I pulled out of the first sale as the guy seemed to have it in his head that I was going to scam him , but the guy I,m in communication with seems to understand that I just want a nice motor for the boat, so hopefully it will come off. I just hope there are no nightmares with shipping, I,m pretty sure the guy will be quite experienced in shipping these motors ,but I will confirm that everything is signed and checked before it leaves for shipping, thanks for that..

I hope you find the information gathered so far interesting, I will keep you informed of the restoration as it goes on.

All the best, Rich

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

I make full use of my relations in Warminster PA when I 'm looking for anything in particular or buy of Ebayers who won't ship outside of US.Cheers cousins :drink:. So generally I never had any problems,except when I bought a set of gauges,Tach,Speed,Fuel,and Oil, for $50+$10P&P. $25 would have seen them here via USPS.BUT instead of putting gift on it and shipping it on,he put the true value and registered it :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: Customs and Excise put the arm in :cry: .No concept of pulling a fast one on the authorities.Too honest.