Johnson 40hp Electric Project

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Johnson 40hp Electric Project

Post by Rapier »

Fired this motor up last week and ran it - nice this electric start! Given the lack of C4 cables on the market bought C14s to go with this single lever box I want to try out then transfer to the SkiTwin 40. They're very hard to find and this one has a broken lever-tension adjuster, but were an accessory from 1966 on. They come in 2 types, one for C4 and one for C14 cables, so a screwdriver is useful if you come across a used one.
Attachments
Picture 023 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Scratch that idea..there's not enough room to get full throttle without hitting the dash, if the Lone Star mounting is used. Had to resort to a twin lever Ultraflex. Is a pity C4s are NLA here - can buy them in from the US but it appears an expensive option these days and I see a lot of sellers add on a charge for 'customs clearance' :hmmm:

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

I got my cables from here in the end http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120671700645? ... 1497.l2649 they seem to have most lengths available and although they are in the states postage is quite reasonable, I paid about £50 for my two cables plus postage I think. They turned up today and were marked as a gift so no duty to pay either... Bonus! Just a thought if you did want to go with the twin lever.
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Seems to run nicely and pumps well, in the soup bin; water pressure not strong enough to use the flushette without warm-up idle.