Johnson 40hp Electric Project

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Oh, the joys..

Post by Rapier »

Result today....nothing like an oxy acetylene torch and decent snap on tools to work some magic, cooked the seal and seen typical damage to the exhaust tube...90% of these motors will have similar corrosion. 4 hours work...no wonder dealers chuck em in the skip.

Got the little Archimedes 3.9 free too - was a stuck piston, stuck rings...all free now, back together and ready for a re-assemble and partial respray.
Attachments
Picture 092 (Large).jpg
Picture 093 (Large).jpg
Picture 094 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Started work on this one again today. New shaft bearing fitted, to replace the rusted one + a new seal fitted above + 2nd hand drive shift fitted (the original will become a pry bar/persuader..). Gearbox 'o' rings replaced, spaghetti seal replaced, gears and prop shaft put back together and sealed with quicksilver snot. New water pump housing, impeller and gaskets. New bottom carbon seal, spring and washer fitted on the powerhead and new carb kit fitted. Nice when you can borrow proper snap-on tools, a slide hammer & a very decently sized workbench to fit that lot onto...boring pics below.
Attachments
Picture 011 (Medium).jpg
Picture 012 (Medium).jpg
Picture 010 (Medium).jpg
Picture 008 (Medium).jpg
Picture 006 (Medium).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Finished putting togther the Johnson 40 Electric, is now complete and ready to fire up in the soup bin :woo: ...constant rain and sabbath prevents further testing :!:
Attachments
Picture (Large).jpg

gfgarland
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Johnson 40hp Electric Project

Post by gfgarland »

Too bad you were not closer.... I have a very clean 1964 Johnson with controls and I can't give the damn thing away, there is just no interest in these engines where I live!!! I tried to advertise the engine to rehome it and never got one call. Shame about it!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

There aren't many left here in reasonable condition, most dealers won't touch them and they get scrapped. This one was way uneconomic to repair and frankly a nightmare of issues put right, but will live to run again. We salivate at the motors available Stateside, but the shipping cost of getting motors over here is high - the last one I brought in, a Colorado run '64 9.8 was about $200. Most of us are Mercury fans, but we can count only 3x300, 2X350, 2x400, 1x500 (62) of the pre-62 motors...there are many more post '65 though. There are a few pre 62 motors lying in sheds, but the above is a tiny % for an isle like this.

gfgarland

Post by gfgarland »

Well if you feel it is worth it you can have the damn thing for free, just pay for shipping. It really is a nice one....

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

It's a very kind offer and I'd pay you for it, but however tempting I am buried in motors at the moment, with the 2x30cu.in 35s, a '76 500 project, a paint job on a Chrysler 45 and one and a half '88 35s that I need to scavenge the best bits off to get a nice short one running. Not matter how accommodating my Mrs is, another buy would likely to push her over the edge :)

gfgarland

Post by gfgarland »

No money needed mate just get it out of here. It is feeling a little out of sorts being surrounded by all my Mercs, all 36 of them! And yes I am married..... :help:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Twins ;). Nowhere left to hang a motor while I work on it...

After all that effort on the gearbox, now have gear oil in my soup bin, forgot to fit the new propshaft seal... :oops:

Teach me to work on too many motors a once. :juggle:
Attachments
Picture 013 (Large).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sick of gearbox today...took it apart and put it back together to pressure test more times than is healthy - BU Team had been there before. Back on the motor tomorrow though.