Johnson 40hp Electric Project

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Oh, the joys..

Post by Alacrity »

Cut the shafts, in my opinion it won't loosen off on it own. :grrr: :grrr: :(
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I would have expected the driveshaft to have released from the oily gearbox end, I had one do that and cut a neat keyway up the pump neck on the way out. To release it from the powerhead I made up a clamp ring around the shaft with a slide hammer style weight above.

I think it must be the water pipes so steady tension is the best bet , otherwise if you can get a blade in cut the pipes they are easier to replace.

No disrespect but the gear shift is released is't it :o
Good luck

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Thanks for that, if can get in there will cut the pipes, also wondered whether I couldn't get it locally hot to 'cook' those grommets with the lugs...without melting any ali.

No disrespect..is the common most FAQ.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Johnnyrude torture.. ;)
Attachments
Picture 088 (Large).jpg

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

That's nice to see - to this Merc fan! :hilarious:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Had to laugh :hilarious: :hilarious: but did it work?...I'd would only use the cushions if it was a Merc !!!
Growing up is optional...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

It did, very effective, I whooped and hollered for awhile, until I realised that it wasn't the shaft moving but the gearbox...The Floater Manoeuver dictates that the impellor key will destroy the water pump seal. :woo:

Now I need to get the powerhead off the mid-section..not sure if I have the tools to do it without breaking things. There is only so much heat my small creme brulee torch can provide..

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Well done, must remember that idea, very resourceful!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Nice job I think this is how the manual shows it done :D
Has Grace noticed a rather oily smell from her pillow yet?
The motor I had trouble with was a later one so although a keyway was cut in the pump housing it did no harm as there was no seal. The key is quite shallow so if you are lucky and it appears you are so far :? it may push past the seal without serious damage.
I had a root around in the garage tonight looking for the impromptu slide hammer and shaft clamp but drew a blank Im affraid. Will have a think and another look but it probably got converted to something else.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Thanks for the hunt, got most of the bolts undone, 8am start to spend tomorrow at the workshop with proper kit available, then we'll try to get the shaft out with some outboard tools of the trade. The pump survived well, but needs a new seal. Mike V tells me that some housings are NLA, so pick them up when you see 'em on fleabay / jumbles.

That's the issue with doing these OMCs up...one can spend so much time and money on a very mediocre motor - however try to find a nice one and you'll look for ages. If they didn't look so retro / period and be 'easy' to work one would one bother? My old man was scornful when I pointed out the neighbour's mid-60s Johnson 33...I guess because the family had had many OMCs over the years and the 65hp Merc sitting on our boat was just so 'modern' and efficient.
Attachments
Picture (Large).jpg
Picture 090 (Large).jpg