Mercury MK40 H modified

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Mercury MK40 H modified

Post by Rapier »

Great thread, hadn't seen that one. Sunset Orange is the same as my (ex David) MK28, which is a pink red...
Attachments
Picture 1990 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

After going round the block a couple of times re the colour have settled on 'gas tank red' if Mercs did paint it red there's no red/orange listed in '53 so I guess they would have used what was to hand...'gas tank red'.

Quick update... have spent hours and hours easing the filer blocks into the engine block using blue hi spot and removing a little each time with a small router and end mill, then lined up the ports in the filler blocks with the engine ports, transferred the filler block position to the stack plate and lined up the filler block and stack plate ports, then lined up all the stack plate mounting holes with the block...phew!

Next to sort all the iffy studs and tapped holes in the engine block and a big clean up.
Attachments
Filler blocks shaped and fitted to engine block
Filler blocks shaped and fitted to engine block
Filler blocks on the stack plate
Filler blocks on the stack plate
Complete exhaust assy on the bare block
Complete exhaust assy on the bare block
Just needs the insides adding!
Just needs the insides adding!
Growing up is optional...

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Moving on...Crank assembly now into the block :woo: , waiting on more shims to arrive for the top and bottom bearings, new seals fitted. The filler blocks have been bonded in to the block, the exhaust stacks have to come back off once everything has set so I can make up the exhaust cover plate gasket etc.
Attachments
Ready, steady,.. go!
Ready, steady,.. go!
Phew ..it's all in
Phew ..it's all in

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Shims arrived :woo: and everything cleaned up, crankcase fitted, filler blocks bedded in to the engine block, I've used a filled silicone which seems resistant to heat by my blow lamp test and will allow everything to expand and contract. have made up a paper/graphite gasket for the stack plate with the graphite rings around the exhaust ports slightly thicker than the paper as it is s bit more compressible...fingers crossed!

Crank assy shimmed up and everything bolted up...and it all goes round!!!! :woo: :woo: :woo:
Attachments
Ready for everything else
Ready for everything else
Composite gasket ready for assy
Composite gasket ready for assy
Filler blocks bedded in position on silicone
Filler blocks bedded in position on silicone

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Quick update... lower unit re assembled and ready to go, mid section ditto, next to sort the carbs and magneto.
Attachments
Quickie lower unit back in one piece
Quickie lower unit back in one piece
Mid section up together
Mid section up together
Mid section ready to assemble
Mid section ready to assemble
Last edited by Healey75 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Done a bit more... carbs serviced and the spindle wear sorted, magneto/distributor dismantled and the bearings packed with fresh grease, new coil and condenser all assembled on the power head. Modified and lightened the flywheel now set up for rope start.

Still got to sort the water pipe in the leg and the fuel pump system
Attachments
Power head looking more like it
Power head looking more like it
The bit of the flywheel removed!
The bit of the flywheel removed!

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

oh my goodness - getting all giggly waiting to hear it fire up! will we be making noise at Ivy Lake?

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

I wish....very tempting but just a bit too much to do so Spring meet at Ivy Lake is the target

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Movin' on...All the bits mostly in one place now! I've fitted a suction fuel pump remotely on the top of the engine (no room behind the cowling) to replace the original pressurised tank tank system, although i've got all the bits it looks to me to have just too many potential leaks, These very early Mercs had twin fuel lines and the crank case pressure was collected via non return reed valves on the transfer ports and fed to the fuel tank, the pressurised fuel tank then pushes the fuel up to the carbs via the second fuel line. Also it seems to me a good way of reducing the crankcase pressure...not the best idea for performance.

What's left?...cowling, that's done at least as much as there is going to be, I've got to fit up the linkages and time everything and sort the paint...gas tank red for the cowls and dull silver for the midsection. Oh, and sort a steering arm Last job is to find my ear defenders... :woo: :woo: :woo:
Attachments
DSCF5744.JPG
DSCF5745.JPG
DSCF5742.JPG
DSCF5741.JPG

Healey75

Re: Mercury MK40 H modified FINISHED !!

Post by Healey75 »

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: Finally got it finished just before Christmas...just need to add fuel and water oh and make a steering bar... anyone got one?
Attachments
DSCF5950.JPG
DSCF5949.JPG
DSCF5948.JPG
DSCF5947.JPG
DSCF5946.JPG