Mercury MK40 H modified

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Healey75

Re: Mercury MK40 H modified

Post by Healey75 »

Quick up date...parts rec'd from the 'states, came direct, :woo: and didn't get held in customs. house extension started so have to shelve the rebuild for a bit. (maybe !!!)
Growing up is optional...

wolfie
CMBA Member: 0

Post by wolfie »

:?: any news on this super engine ? or is the extension still holding things up ?

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

wolfie wrote::?: any news on this super engine ? or is the extension still holding things up ?
Extension nearly finished :woo: :woo: :woo: just got the garden to reinstate but that can take all summer, not been totally idle on the engine front... I've finally found in the 'states 4 used pistons from a Mk55 which should fit and currently they are somewhere in transit twixt there and here, once they arrive I'll be able to start on the rebuild with the vague intention of having a runner for next season... as it happens I was picking through the engine only yesterday thinking it's about time to get it sorted...I'll post updates occasionally.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

More news... Received the MK 55 pistons from the USA last Tues...geat service and didn't get caught in customs :woo: :woo: These look great and should fit ok in the MK40 block, it looks as if 1 pair of the existing pistons may well be MK55's anyway! Rebuild time getting closer :woo:
Attachments
Ready for the rebuild
Ready for the rebuild

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Missed this post - looking forward to the rebuild! I have the pre 65 manual if you need it at all, is on disk as well as paper...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Kind thought, I've got the pre 65 manual plus parts list so really am running out of excuses.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Right then I'm back on the project so will post from time to time a short report and pics as things get completed.

Replacement pistons now assembled to the crank and rings fitted and already to to go back in the block. Had to make a gudgeon pin extractor/assembly tool, the pins are meant to be a push fit but I found a quick blast with the hot air gun on the piston underside to expand it made life much easier. Next job will be to get the castings finally cleaned up and remove the pink tinge from the red paint.

I mostly convinced now that this engine was painted red outside and not green since there is absolutely no sign of any green paint anywhere not even in the pores of the sand casting only red
Attachments
The pink tinge
The pink tinge
4 'new' pistons all the same!
4 'new' pistons all the same!
Crank assy ready for the block
Crank assy ready for the block

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Mists of time, but wasn't there some discussion on a US site, or Peter Hunn's books about red paint on some racing motors? Might be worthwhile posting on John's Old Mercs to ask the question maybe?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I think he has already done that Nick.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Re colour... Ioadsa help rec'd here

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/v ... =17&t=6274

if you read thro the thread some were definitely red so Red looks to be the way I'll go just need to clarify the shade, Merc list a Sunset orange and MGB list a sunset red :hmmm: