Clarke Troller

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Clarke Troller

Post by Alacrity »

The CMBA proper old outboard man picked up one of these at Beaulieu a couple of years ago. I think they are a terrific example of pioneering outboard design from the 1930's. Flawed of course but very interesting. The propshaft is the crankshaft, the whole engine sits under the water where we expect the gearbox to be nowadays. The exhaust was piped up to the top & then back down again to stop the water getting in, carb also sits right at the top with the points (& possibly the coil as well) sitting under a cover above the prop. Not the most user friendly motor to start but it did have a variable pitch prop as standard!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Re: Clarke Troller

Post by twister »

Just spotted this post - for what it's worth, I have one of these in bits awaiting restoration. Not in bad nick, but needs some parts making. Watch this space, but don't hold your breath!

Frank
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Clarke Troller

Post by Frank »

Hello! I have a Clarke Troller i want to sell, it`s running and have the original tools, anyone here do knows the value of this outboard motor? i am from norway so sorry my english