The people you meet, and things they sell...

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

The people you meet, and things they sell...

Post by knarloid »

(As background to this post, I have recently emigrated to the USA from Ireland :help: , living in New Jersey now).

So I was doing my usual browse of the local Craigslist Boat classifieds and came across an old (very old!) small outboard advertised as follows:

A Well Cared For 1947 ELGIN Model 501 3.5 HP. The original owner of this motor lived in Northern Indianna
and had a cottage in Wisconsin. He had one of the carpenters that worked for him make the case so that
the motor would not be damaged when he transported it to the lake in Wisconsin. For 64 years the case hads done
its job well, as the motor is well preserved. The motor runs well and appears to have a low number of
hours of running time. It came with the original spark plugs (with the factory overspray), and those spark plugs
still give a strong spark. At a recent meet of the Antique Outboard Motor Club it took 1st prize as the best
unrestored motor.

I had to go and take a look as it was only 9 miles away up the freeway as the story alone had me tempted.

So off I went up Interstate 287. No sooner had I got onto the interstate than I noticed something odd looking being hauled up the outer lane by a juggernaut.
As it overtook me, I had to get a few snaps on the iphone as I had by then recognised what was on the back....

On I travelled to Mr Ryans house where - if I'm honest - I could have spent the whole day at. He has what I could only describe as a museum to classic outboards throughout his house. He met me at the garage door and no sooner had I stepped in than he was pointing out the range of small outboards (dating from the 1920's up to the 60's) which were hanging high up on the garage walls like proud prizes (about 12-15 in total). They were all immaculate, and all run (he had a small aluminium boat in the garden which he uses them on when fishing at the local lake). He said he had another 20-30 in the shed out the back waiting for restoration.
Then we went down to the basment where he had this ready for me to look at (and ultimately take home):

It includes all the original paperwork which he has fitted behind a perspex sheet inside the lid:

The box alone is fantastic, and I plan to use the whole piece as a coffee table base in the basement den once we move into the new house in the coming weeks. A sheet of toughened glass should finish it off nicely as a table top. :rolleyes:

He said it does run, but due to the amount of ethanol in modern fuels, he completely drains and cleans all his engines tanks and parts after use to preserve them from sludge. This has the original plugs in it.

He continued to show me several more engines he had in the same basement room, before showing me another attached basement room which was his workshop with all his tools/lathes etc. and another 4-6 outboards in varying states of restoration.

It turns out he's the editor of the local Antique Outboard Motor Club "Knuckle Busters" chapter's newsletter, and had plenty of information on local events that happen in the state and region throughout the year. (Called Knuckle Busters because the early motors had a knob on the Flywheel for starting the motor, and if you didn't remove your hand quickly it could break your knuckles)

Thankfully SWMBO thought it was a nice piece of history to own, so Valentines Day won't be starting on a low..... :yahoo:

I wish I had asked him if I could take some photos, but I didn't think he would appreciate his home collection being paraded on the internet.

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Re: The people you meet, and things they sell...

Post by knarloid »

Here's a few links I got from a recent newsletter of the American Outboard Motor Club:

http://www.penn.itgo.com/
The video came recommended:
http://www.penn.itgo.com/videos.html

The local Chapter's Presidents site
http://www.mercguy.com/

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Nice find Kris - so you & T15 both have motors with original plugs in. Must be an Irish thing . . . :lol:

You are soo lucky with the choice of boats & motors you now have, & lots of fresh water to run them on.

One month in & things are looking good for you. :thumbsup:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Lovely, think West Bend used to make them? Guess you're on the rocky road now....ignore the lesser makes and hunt for a nice 'green onion'. By the way to prevent knuckles being cracked / broken wear cricket or wicket gloves, duct taped fingers are a good one too!
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...