There, fixed now...

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: There, fixed now...

Post by floater »

Thanks , I have a genuine manual and a clymer one so will study both closely. I had planned to make a puller for the flywheel so will get on with that too as I am planning to stay on this side of the pond this year.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Well I have one you can borrow if you want a pattern.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Thank you for the offer, I have a spare flywheel from the basket case to use to gauge the thread so I should be ok however don't hide yours away just yet.

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I have a Sears (McCulloch with different cowls) that has the same "special" maintenance port :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

:thumbsup:

My all time great find was a Merc 50 for sale on ebay, where the starter spring, or pawls, had broken. The enterprising owner had taken a cutting tool and removed the stepped section of the upper cowl, fittting a fetching pair of hinges and using the emergency cord under the faceplate to start it on the flywheel each time.

Petrolhead and me wept with laughter for days about that one, was an anti-depression pill. For a long time I had the pic, but it's gone, sadly.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...