Evinrude Starflight

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Outboard Nut
CMBA Member: 145

Evinrude Starflight

Post by Outboard Nut »

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Evinrude Starflight

Post by Rapier »

This is the non electric shift motor and disty ignition, so might be an easy fix. Just not worth a punt at that price though.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

LitchboroughLitchbor
CMBA Member: 0

Post by LitchboroughLitchbor »

Would be a nice engine - but too expensive. I didn't expect to see any more of these in the UK. The last two I picked up didn't cost more that about £200 each, and I haven't done much with either of them yet - although both turn nicely and seem in reasonable condition.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 23.25.28.png
Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 23.24.47.png

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

They look like great long-term projects - heavy lumps though. At one stage I had a tin full of new old stock distys for these, the idea was that they'd be used for the 100hp Starflite of the type that was on Advance, Lady Arran's old boat, but I think that motor was sold.

LitchboroughLitchbor

I like the 100hp engines. Is this the boat you are talking about? I've only seen one of these engines in the UK - on a Tremlett, that survived in the Basildon boat museum, with the double-pinion, slim racing gearbox. Hopefully it will appear on the water one day.

A chap in Sweden (I think?) has a pair on one of his boats. He's done a great job on them, they look superb.

There seems to a very nice '60s Evinrude 85hp on a Healey Corvette - in Holland, I think?

I have made little progress on my V4s this year. The Evinrude 90hp was seized, but once I took the flywheel off (it had rusted to the stator) the engine turned nicely and the bores look clean. So they're on the project list for next year. This year I seem to have been occupied with the big twins - I suppose, because the Evinrude 40 was in such a shocking state. I decided to start on the worst one, first!

For the V4s I ought to start with the 75. The ignition is simpler (no stator or charging system) and so is the gearbox (mechanical, not electric like the Evinrude 90).

You are right, I'm sure they are too heavy for my Tremlett, so I'm hoping to run them on our 18ft Fletcher - although they will look a bit odd - '60s engines, on a '90s boat. But a nice '60s boat is just a project too far, at the moment.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 14.00.36.png

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Advance is a wood built Lorne Campbell design with a single narrow central hull and 2 'outriggers / sponsons'. Was in a horrible state when 'saved. Will try to find a pic..The motor on a pic was a '67 100 Starflite, but I understand a BP 1250 Merc is being built for it.

The '67 GT-115 is still around, as is the boat. Here's the original post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1511&hilit=advance

The Healey Corvette was an ex member's Tony Venn - it went to NL with the 707 and his Sprite eventually ended up in the US. At some stage there was a Healey Day held at Chertsey for an article in Classic Boat mag. The Corvette is noisy and claustrophobic under that lid though. Bruswick / Owens built that hull in huge numbers and their's had a sliding hardtop too. There are a few around, but most pretty far gone now.

LitchboroughLitchbor

Advance sounds very interesting.
It would be nice to see the Tremlett, with the GT115, in action, on the water.
We stumbled over the 707, being auctioned on carsandclassics website on Friday. It got to €42k - but not sure that it actually changed hands.
The paintwork job on the Corvette Evinrude looks super.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Someone sent me the link...if it made 42K was a great price for the seller. Some pics from 2006..was struggling to go properly then.

The GT-115 and the Tremlett parted company; the Tremlett is owned by a CMBA member now and has a nice late model 90hp IL6 Mercury on the back - not sure if it's still for sale.
Attachments
Cardiff CMBA 07 184 (Medium).jpg
Cardiff CMBA 07 085 (Medium).jpg
Cardiff CMBA 07 129 (Medium).jpg

LitchboroughLitchbor

Oh dear - about the Tremlett and its Johnson GT-115 parting company. I thought it was an original racer, from the late '60s or early '70s. What a sad end to the story.

LitchboroughLitchbor

Jörgen Lundén has done a super job on his GT115s.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-01 ii.jpg