pre 1940 outboard and rowboat engines

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

evinrudelto
CMBA Member: 0

pre 1940 outboard and rowboat engines

Post by evinrudelto »

hello all and thank you for excepting me into this group.
I find myself in rather a lonely place due to the fact ive taken on rather ,so it appears hobby, namely pre 1940 outboard and rowboat engines.
i believe in the uk we had rather a small offering when it came to outboard engines in the period i stated.
i enjoy mechanical things and the usa had a wealth of choice when it came to outboard engines and this intrested me into taking the plunge !
with a lot of searching in the uk i managed to purchase a 1939 3hp evinrude handitwin followed up by a 1926 6hp johnson P-30.
The problem now is finding information,parts and fellow enthusiast in the UK !
I really like to share my hobby with others and i hope that i may find some fellow enthusiast here ?
My aim is to have all my engines up and running and to find a suitable rowboat to run them on .
1939 3HP EVINRUDE HANDITWIN 001 (Medium).JPG
`1926 6HP JOHNSON P-30 020 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
Last edited by evinrudelto on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: pre 1940 outboard and rowboat engines

Post by Rapier »

Welcome to the site. There are a few of us antique outboard enthusiasts (nutters) here, 5 within the CMBA, but others around the country and plenty of projects around, ostensibly for not a lot of outlay (bearing in mind most need work and parts to run). The AOMCI has an ask-a-member facility, which has really helped me where manuals and other literature are scarce here. Membership is £56 a year for us, but worth every penny with plenty of advice shoudl you need it.

As the forum doesn't allow pics over a certain limit, I use an image resizing add on that was a part of windows - see below. Right clicking the mouse over the pic from a pc brings up the menu, select large, click resize and that's it...There are other packages, but I'm old school and it''s always worked for me..
Attachments
ScreenHunter_129 Oct. 20 14.57.jpg
ScreenHunter_129 Oct. 20 14.57.jpg (29.53 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

evinrudelto

Post by evinrudelto »

WOW thank you Rapier
im so not techy in fact i hate technology with a passion ! ,but i am a fully fledged dinosaur :-)
cant believe i got your instructions to work !!!!
well it works for me too !
now you can see the two wrecks ive purchased !
ive joined the AOMC on FB and have been sounding out the waters there for a couple of months with vaired success ,managed to get a few parts shipped over and quite a few of the parts were incorrected ?
also found short comings on technical advice as i have not obtain any manuals i just needed to know how to strip down thr lower leg and gearbox ?
i did wait patiently for advice but i have now figured it out and succesfully stripped down the Handitwin .
so all advice will be gratefully appreciated

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Great motors! Lovely original decal on the P-30 too. Am a big fan of the opposed twins (having had too many..). This site has the full '22 to '64 Johnson service manual, which will help in the interim.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ ... on.html#/0

I have '22 to '55 as a PDF, but can't remember where I downloaded it from - I could Wetransfer it to an email address, along with the 1922 to 1927 parts list - your P-30 isn't listed, but the K-35 is the same hp and is - also worth bearing in mind the Canadian factory built motors (based on North American specs.), for the Commonwealth / overseas market - I have an OBL-70 that is actually an F-75, but with a saltwater bronze leg for our market..is not cut and dried, so if you find something different that's not listed in any source. If you need parts, Doug Penn can help (he's on the net) and knows his oats.

evinrudelto

Post by evinrudelto »

thank you Rapier !
I have already found the pdf file on the johnson 22-55 and having trewl through it have found some great information ,hard work though 500 odd pages of it !
IT is rather strange though the lack of information on the P-30 as it was quite an important outboard in its day ,being the largest horsepower of its time and the first motor to plane a boat ?
Your OBL is quite interesting i believe the BL stands for bronze and long shaft ? my P-30 in fact a PL-30 and a longshaft too.
The intentions for my PL-30 is to sympatheticly retore, paint and polish where needed and the petrol tank will retain its original decals as tatty as they are i want to retain its used look and age . the exhaust can was hugely battered and has extra holes added ( a period mod to acheive more power) which i shall retain also ive beaten out the worst of the damage and polished which will dull down in time .
`1926 6HP JOHNSON P-30 FUEL TANK 009 (Medium).JPG
`1926 6HP JOHNSON P-30 FUEL TANK 006 (Medium).JPG
`1926 6HP JOHNSON P-30 exhaust clean up 004 (Medium).JPG

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Lovely! Not getting any private messages by the way - there's a bug the hosts need to sort out..

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

You may have already seen this but in case you've not, there's some interesting old motors here and may be worth making contact.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJdMms ... bzM27kJINg

evinrudelto

Post by evinrudelto »

thank you floater
i have made contacts in the usa and canada and have recieved a number of parts over the last few months
im here to find like minded vintage outboard enthusiasts in th UK also clubs that are communitive in sharing their hobbies and information.
being a motor engineer i repair rather than replace, and make parts for my hobbies and am happy to assist others if i can.
here are a few parts ive made for others in a club i belong to outside the boating world .
theses are for a 1962 honda training engine called the "cuby" only made 800 world wide in 1962
MY HONDA CUBY 008 (Medium).JPG
CUBY OIL FILLER CAPS 006 (Medium).JPG
CUBY PRODUCTION LINE 006 (Medium).JPG
CUBY PRODUCTION LINE 006 (Medium).JPG

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Nice work, looks like the row boat motors are in good hands, look forward to seeing them finished. :thumbsup:

Outboard Nut
CMBA Member: 145

Post by Outboard Nut »

Good to welcome another enthusiast - we seem to be an endangered species here in the UK.
If you are looking for more projects let us know as we might be able to help or point you in the right direction.