Evinrude Starflight

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Evinrude Starflight

Post by Rapier »

The GT-115 is with an enthusiast. It's really not a usable motor and most bits are near unobtainable, so if you broke something it's a be a real shame.

Here's 'Felony'; mid-restoration.
Attachments
Picture 021 (Medium).jpg
Picture 018 (Medium).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

LitchboroughLitchbor
CMBA Member: 0

Post by LitchboroughLitchbor »

Wow - looks nice, doesn't it!

Good that the boat's back on the water again, after all those years in the museum.

LitchboroughLitchbor
CMBA Member: 0

Post by LitchboroughLitchbor »

That Evinrude Starflight still seems to be on the market at £750, after 6 months? I made some offers around £1-200, but he wasn't interested.
I've just done a little more on my Evinrude Big Twin project this weekend. This engine a complete basketcase - £50, seized pistons, rusted bores, a compromised crankshaft and bearings - but with some new rings, astonishingly, it now runs. Fitting a starter motor and ring gear has made it much easier. With a new impeller, it is now cooling well, but then it started to misfire and stopped. The spark was weak on one cylinder and non-existent on the other, so it was time to inspect the magneto. The flywheel came off (too easily) and look what I found inside!
I've heard about this sort of thing, but didn't think it would ever happen to me - a sheared flywheel key. Perhaps the crankshaft or flywheel had oil on them, or perhaps the nut wasn't tight enough, or perhaps I was just unlucky? I've always worried about a loose flywheel. It sounds like a nasty accident, waiting to happen. But it's encouraging to think that the engine would probably stop, before it got to that. I presume that once the flywheel starts to slip, the magnets no longer align with the coils, killing the magneto? Fortunately I've got a spare flywheel key, but I'll have to make sure its all scrupulously clean before I assemble it this time.
Attachments
IMG_1149 copy.jpeg
IMG_1149 copy.jpeg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
IMG_1143 copy.jpeg
IMG_1143 copy.jpeg (16.26 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
IMG_1150 copy 2.jpeg
IMG_1150 copy 2.jpeg (19 KiB) Viewed 4362 times