Chrysler 45Hp Outboard

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Zen
CMBA Member: 0

Chrysler 45Hp Outboard

Post by Zen »

Hi Everyone.
I visited the Boatjumble at Beaulieu and saw your stand and spoke to a couple of members that were helpful and they suggested I post on here. so I have recently bought a 50s , 60s boat not sure as it is unnamed and I can't find a similar one anywhere which has a Chrysler 45 HP engine Model No 457H1M.
If any one has any information re this outboard or advice that would be appreciated. Where I can get Manual or spares etc.
I may need a couple of items chroming also.
I will post a photo of my boat too so if anyone recognises it that would be useful.

Cheers Zen
Attachments
Model 457H1M.jpg
FibreGlass Boat.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Chrysler 45Hp Outboard

Post by Rapier »

Hi, the boat is a Colvic (as in the company that made 20-28ft displacement cruisers) and dates from the very early 60s. There are a few restored ones around, but none in the CMBA. The Chrysler is a 1981 model, not sure what ignition system it has, magneto or battery typically, but you should be able to find a proper Chrysler factory manual on ebay. Hank at American Marine Imports can help with spare parts on 01789491673. Just an observation though; the motor is a long shaft on what would typically be a short shaft transom of that period, is not ideal as it creates much more drag and stress on the transom. The transom may have been extended though...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Zen

Post by Zen »

Hi Rapier.
Thank you so much for your information.
I do not have great marine knowledge but rather enthusiasm and endeavour! I am currently stripping off paint and making minor repairs in the glassfibre. I do have an expert in that helping me.
I am going to replace the pulley steering system with a Teleflex one.
I did suspect it might be 60s because as in the cars of the period the fins were larger in the fifties and gradually got smaller in the sixties until they disappeared completely.
It is interesting that you say the outboard is a long shaft and may have been chosen if the transom has been altered I will post some more photos of that. The outboard did have a battery and ignition switch start, both need replacing and further advice appreciated.
I am going to join as I can see this will be a great help(If you'll have me..)
Cheers again

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

You must have gathered from the crew manning the stand on Sunday that we take everyone :shock: . A sure way of checking the transom is to measure it from the outside from the base of the hull to where the motor connects - short transoms will typically be 15-16ins and long from 18ins upwards to 22ins or so. Have fun with the renovation and hope we see you at a rally or gathering, soon.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

loveboats

Post by loveboats »

Zen wrote:Hi Everyone.
I visited the Boatjumble at Beaulieu and saw your stand and spoke to a couple of members that were helpful and they suggested I post on here. so I have recently bought a 50s , 60s boat not sure as it is unnamed and I can't find a similar one anywhere which has a Chrysler 45 HP engine Model No 457H1M.
If any one has any information re this outboard or advice that would be appreciated. Where I can get Manual or spares etc.
I may need a couple of items chroming also.
I will post a photo of my boat too so if anyone recognises it that would be useful.

Cheers Zen
Hi,
if you bought this as a general first boat to get you into the water and see how you like it Remember boating is very addictive and quite expensive too, two stroke outboards specially oldish ones are very thirsty, if you be using the boat for plotting about n a bit of fishing maybe a smaller newer 4 stroke outboard would be more suitable a lot cheaper to run, if you be using it for water skiing and power boating it might be a good idea to use it a bit first B4 you spend money on the engine then if you decide running costs are acceptable to you, you can go ahead with it, remember its not MPG but gallons per hour specially water skiing i know its no cheap way to power boating but a 2 stroke outboard is the most expensive way, by the way welcome to the world of boating as a hobby nothing comes close to it good Luck