Albatross Continental engine cooling

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

AlbertRoss
CMBA Member: 0

Albatross Continental engine cooling

Post by AlbertRoss »

Most of the Albatross Continentals I have seen (admittedly relatively few!) have had their original Ford 100e engine replaced with a 1600 crossflow.
Do owners of any such boats have any comments on whether the hull cooling pods are adequate for cooling this engine? Some I have seen have abandoned the cooling pods and have adopted a simple raw water cooling system - not a good idea if using in salt water.
I have seen a Ford 1500 precrossflow in a Continental cooled (apparently sucessfully) using these cooling pods, but I wonder whether they can cope with cooling the heat generated by the rather larger horsepower of the Ford 1600 crossflow, or is some other system (eg heat exchanger) recommended?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Albatross Continental engine cooling

Post by Alacrity »

The original cooling system is more than adequate for cooling the 100e, I know a tuned 100e Continental that has no problems with cooling even when run hard. I myself have an ali Delta 1500 with the same cooling system & that has no issues either.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

wisbang
CMBA Member: 346

Post by wisbang »

albie heat exchangers can cope with any engine you are able to install I have full race 1660cc xflow nether overheated at full bore or 3 hours at 3 knots on Norfolk boards pete.

DELTA1500

Post by DELTA1500 »

I had heating problems with my DELTA1500, I was informed by Ray that the cooling pipe behind the petrol tank that joins the cooling pads airlocks.
To fill the system with water remove the bleed screw on top of stat housing and fill until air and water comes out,this removes air from the system.
Ray told me to put a alloy plate with a 5/8 hole in it under the stat housing, this is to stop air pockets forming in the head by water flowing too fast through the head