My new too me old "new" Evinrude 25hp

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

My new too me old "new" Evinrude 25hp

Post by Sicobra »

Thought you might like too see the final part of the jigsaw for my woody runabout. A 1969 Evinrude 25hp that had as I understand done about 10 hours when new and then was carefully stored away until last week, so about 44 years in a dry indoor cupboard!!!
It is in amazing condition, all the rubber parts are like new, OK there are one or two small paint chips, but it still seems to have just the factory grease on the moving parts. It survived a pallet delivery as it was too far away for me to view before purchase and came with the original handbook, long shaft extension kit(never used) and original fuel tank. A quick check over, new oil in the gearbox and impellor and she started 3rd pull! The only issue was the fuel pump not pumping but I have fitted a spare off an 18hp and she runs like a dream.
(Does any know if it will be OK to run with the 18hp 1962 version of the fuel pump long term?)

I knew eventually I would get what I wanted but never expected too find one this original and clean.

I could also do with a really nice 10x9 prop as it is a little bent and has a chip in it, the only sign of use!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: My new too me old "new" Evinrude 25hp

Post by floater »

Blimey what a gem, :thumbsup: if the pump fits the mounting screws and works then I would say it will be fine, it is only a diaphragm inside being pulsed by the change in vacuum in the crankcase.

Nice to see a motor in a colour other than black :giggle:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Sportster! Here's a link to the factory brochure..Most parts are interchangeable between the Fastwin 18 and Sportster 25 and the early 60s Johnnyrude 20/25. I think they're the same bore and stroke too.

http://www.old-omc.de/e_1969/seite_12_13.jpg

Ignore Floater; although he came over to the dark side, it was such a struggle he still doesn't know which camp he's in.

P.S props are common with the Yamaha pin drives too..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Rapier wrote:
Ignore Floater; although he came over to the dark side, it was such a struggle he still doesn't know which camp he's in.
Not sure I approve of the "camp" reference sweetie

To clarify I was most complimentary of solitaires autotranies (they were white :D )

As an aside, as it has been so long in storage it's probably a good idea to check/change the water pump impeller and the condition of the coils if they are original as they are prone to the insulation cracking up as they get older giving intermittent spark trouble.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

floater wrote:As an aside, as it has been so long in storage it's probably a good idea to check/change the water pump impeller
Sicobra wrote:A quick check over, new oil in the gearbox and impellor and she started 3rd pull!
Poor Floater, the 'camp' terminology has caused him to get a little flustered. :giggle:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

That and
floater wrote:solitaires autotranies
:heat:

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Quick question for those in the know, I have a 4 blade prop on my old 18hp spares engine, there are no size markings on it but it seems to be about the same diameter as the 25hp one, would this be any good?
Also on the leg in the gearbox area above the joint are two small factory holes, one at the rear of the leg, one at the front, both at the same level on the right hand side looking from the back of the boat, what are they for? I would post a pic but am away from the garage at the moment!!
Still at least there aren't any auto trannies in there!!!!!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

In my experience the 4 blade props for the 18hp are typically fine pitch 'pusher' props for river & cruiser use. Worthwhile asking on the JEGO site whether it's appropriate for the Sportster and your boat.

Not sure re the holes with pics, some OMCs are intake to prime the water pump, others like some Mercs drain the leg and extraneous exhaust gubbins.

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks Rapier, I will have a look on that site, I don't know of it so can you let me have a link? I will do a pic of the holes I am talking about too, cheers. :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

JEGO is under the fiberglassics.com site. Great bunch..