Gear selection when dropping gearbox

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Classic fever
CMBA Member: 907

Gear selection when dropping gearbox

Post by Classic fever »

Morning all,

I'm in the process of dropping the gearbox to replace an impellor on a Merc 39 (1967).

I've got a half inch gap now, but struggling to get further. Just wondering if it's crucial to position the gear selection lever in a certain position (like neutral for example) before dropping the box - I notice mine is currently set in the forward setting

Thanks

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Gear selection when dropping gearbox

Post by Rapier »

Assuming you haven't managed it yet. Make sure all the bolts are removed, including the one behind the flat anode on the underside of the (am not sure the 39 has this though..) It shouldn't matter what gear is in until you re-install the l/u, then it should be in forward. Unless done regularly removing a l/u can be a struggle akin to removing an extremely tight wellington from someone's foot, involving a lot of twisting, pulling, pushing, etc, etc., it can be a real wrestle..The driveshaft has to come out the crank splines (hence the need to grease them before installation), ditto the water tube and guide tube - the rubber / nylon may perish around these. Sometimes it will involve pushing wood wedges into the gap, balancing the pressure - don't use a hammer on the anti-cavitation plates and don't use a pry / crowbar on them, as the ali is soft and brittle and will always break.

Let us know how it goes.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Classic fever
CMBA Member: 907

Re: Gear selection when dropping gearbox

Post by Classic fever »

Thanks for the advice - I have seen people on Utube using metal bolsters - eek

I will proceed with some pieces of wood and some brawn!

:)