Starter motor brushes

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Spindrift
CMBA Member: 834

Starter motor brushes

Post by Spindrift »

Well, my engine came back this week and all the repairs have been done.

I haven't started it up yet, but have tried turning it over on the battery. It is very sluggish and barely turns over on a fresh, fully charged battery, so I am wondering if the brushes in the starter motor need replacing. The starter is a Delco-Remy unit, serial no. 1113577 2C09, the engine being a Kiekhaefer Merc 500 built in 1962.

Does anyone know where I might obtain a set of carbon brushes for this starter, please? I tried Redline Outboard Services this afternoon, but they were unable to help.

I'd be grateful for any info.

Thanks.
Spindrift (aka Graham)

Owens 'Kent'
Gaffer tape and WD40. There, a toolkit!

Owens 'Kent', 16ft. "Dove Too"

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Starter motor brushes

Post by Rapier »

I had similar on my '60 Merc 400 on a re-conditioned starter and found it was the original loom and cobrahead - take the starter apart and have a look first. They're easy to find states-side.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Thank you,Rapier.

I've got some time off this week, so will have a good look at it.

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Rapier wrote:I had similar on my '60 Merc 400 on a re-conditioned starter and found it was the original loom and cobrahead - take the starter apart and have a look first. They're easy to find states-side.
Good news. I found someone to overhaul the starter for me. There's a little place near here called the Yellow Garage, little more than a yellow shop-front on Ilford High Road, but the proprietor refurbished a Land Rover Series 3 starter for me a couple of years ago, so it was worth a try.

He said that he'd never worked on a starter from an outboard before, but would see what he could do. I picked it up a week later and he said that it was now fully refurbed. Apparently, the brushes and the commutator were completely shot. Anyway, I reinstalled it on the engine and it span up like a good'un; the engine fired up on the first turn.

If anyone wants the details of the chap who did the work, I would be happy to pass them on.

PS. The starter was sorted out for a very reasonable £60.