Identify propellor shaft spline.

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

plentywahalla
CMBA Member: 0

Identify propellor shaft spline.

Post by plentywahalla »

The boat that I am restoring has a 1969 vintage ZF Z-14 sterndrive. The propellor shaft is a plain 22mm diameter shaft with a shear pin.

I know that propellors are difficult to source for this shaft. Included with the boat was a spare shaft which has been milled with a spline pattern which I presume is designed to fit a more widely available prop.

So, the question is... Which make of drive leg uses a 22mm Dia x 13 spline shaft?
IMG00270-20120827-2119.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Identify propellor shaft spline.

Post by Rapier »

Am not sure this will help, but is worth further investigation. I looked at some 13 spline props I have for my post 1970 Mercury outboards (small gearcase 350, 400 and 500 models) and the shaft diameter is 22mm. Pre 1970 those models were 11 spline and a smaller 19mm diameter. These Mercs only had rubber hubbed props, not shear pin though. Is just possible someone milled up an outboard prop shaft.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Could be wrong on this - but I think the ZF drive was re-incarnated (with mod's) as the BMW sterndrive - you could have a word with Pete Humphries at PH Marine - (Val Wyatts yard Wargrave on Thames)
http://www.phmarine.co.uk/

macnorton

Post by macnorton »

plentywahalla

Post by plentywahalla »

Apologies for bumping up this thread but I am getting to the point where I really need to sort out the prop.

Thanks for the previous replies, but sad to relate they didn't come to anything. The BMW drive made by ZF is completely different unit, splined shaft, but different no and sizes of spline. The Radice prop was a surface piecing type.

Measuring the shaft again I think it must be American as the diameters are 7/8" OD and 3/4" ID. 13 spline. Does anyone know exactly which manufacturer runs this size of spline? All the Mercury props I have found are 1" OD 7/8" ID 13 spline, not the 22mm (7/8") OD as Rapier mentioned.

Thanks all

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Another long shot -try 70+ hp Chrysler outboard - am working on a 55hp which uses that exact shearpin arrangement, plus a useless plastic cone nut with a split pin through it to hold it on. Might just be bigger than the 20mm o/d mine are
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...