Johnson Shaft Bits Wanted

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Johnson Shaft Bits Wanted

Post by Rapier »

AS far as I know is the same as the 18 and Geoff has about 4 of those, so you'll recognise. He has 3 sizes, the 35/40 (with outer shroud plates too), the 18/25 (some are NOS) and some small versions from the 50's and 60s 3,4 and 5hp Yachtwins and 5.5hp / 6hp Evinrde / Johnson.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Cheers Rapier,
Just re-checked as well - if it's a '71 Evinrude 18 that petrolhead has the bits from it is indeed the same :D
Off to Geoff's next week - fantastic if petrolhead has any bits that may still be needed :cheers:

R
PS - We're all expecting a post on the 'Trailer Blues'
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Cardo

Post by Cardo »

Think i have the complete kit, bought it for a 1965 Gale Bucanneer 25DE21B, but should all be the same,let me know if you still need it and ill dig it outr and check part numbers

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

Hi Cardo - and welcome aboard!

Many thanks for your kind offer but looks like I've now got all the relevant bits :thanks:
Won't know for sure until we rip it all apart (prob this weekend) but looking good so far!

Cheers,

Robin

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

Just to shout out a big *THANKS* :thumbsup: to everyone who has helped out with this.

Pleased to report I now have a Longshaft - so Gina moves one step closer to the water. Spent a pleasant saturday morning with Alacrity (who did most of the work) and we managed to find nearly all the bits required. Unexpectedly, the biggest issue turned out to be the water tube, but a trip to the plumb center and some judicious soldering soon had that sorted.

My military precision and planning when it comes to this sort of thing did abandon me though - as this beautifully crafted piece of agricultural engineering was now 5" longer, I couldn't get it in the car :roll: so I still haven't had a chance to run it up - hey ho...

Thanks again everybody!

Cheers,

Robin
(who, as a four stroke man has no idea of what that twiddly knob in the middle is for...)

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Well done. :thumbsup: That knob is for millions of OMC owners to twiddle and shake their heads when their engines don't run proper like...Screw it in too far and is curtains for the needle. :cry:

Elmer Carl did away with things like that in the early 1950's. :wot:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Well this is just the thought of thing the CMBA should be all about - members helping each other out. :thumbsup:

No one mentioned the tube that goes over the drive shaft though, we thought we had it covered with d/shaft, extn piece, longer shift shaft connector & water tube (which as Robin says we didn't have & had to extend his own) but lo there is another tube between the top of the waterpump & the leg wot keeps the poor shaft nice & dry. :roll: Thankfully CMBA stock came to the rescue having just the one which saved the day. :D
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Got any pics?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Of ???
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

You know of course that along with Mike T you're now considered 'centre of expertise'; now if there'd been pics... :D