Ford Consul 1703 Raw Water Cooled

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Ford Consul 1703 Raw Water Cooled

Post by Dakota »

Hi,

I understand the 4 seater Simmonds were fitted with the above engine - could anyone confirm method of how the cooling system operates/plumbed in by posting photographs or a manual.

Were they all fitted with Thermostats ? What is the ideal running temperature ?

Any help would be appreciated. :perfect:

MT
:wot:

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Re: Ford Consul 1703 Raw Water Cooled

Post by Simonp »

Whilst I run a Daimler V8 in my Simmonds - the cooling system is the same with a closed circuit running through ribs in the hull plus a raw water pump to cool oil, manifolds and the exhaust. The pumps in mine are the original Jabscos which have proved fairly reliable and I still use the original Jabsco bilge pump.

On mine the water temp generally runs at about 175F going up to 190F if I am shifting on a bit.

Did have a cooling problem a few years ago which was traced to a corroded water intake - easily sorted.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

Mine is/was as per Simonp's

Standard Ford closed circuit, but don't pressurize the the circuit, the rivetted hull cooling tanks won't take it.

I used a Jabsco Slush-Puppy (or something) electric pump to handle the raw water. Far too big a capacity, so I dump most of it overboard via a y-pipe and valve so as not to cause too much back pressure in the exhaust.

So, yes, you do have a thermostat and the bypass pipe between the circulation pump and the thermostat housing.

Temperature should be about 80 degrees C with the stat fully open which equates to Simonp's 175 F.

Not all of them are plumbed this way. I"ve seen one with a raw only circuit, without a stat, or circulation pump. From memory after the sump the water is fed in where the circulation pump would and out of the top of the stat housing and then onto the manifold and exhaust injection elbow. Which is pretty much how the Turbocraft is plumbed.

Watch out for the sump cooling circuit, if the pipe ruptures, then you have a lot of water in the sump and a lot of displaced oil in the bilge. And then the auto bilge pump kicks in...

Closed Circuit would be exactly as per the car except the radiator is replaced by the hull tanks and the header tank has no pressure cap just a cork.
Plus the Raw circuit is as Simonp said, inlet-pump-sump-exhaust manifold-exhaust injection elbow.

Cheers,
S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Post by Dakota »

Interesting!!!

Boat has a raw only circuit with no stat and no means of cooling the oil in the sump.

Water is fed directly into the pump, into the manifold at lowest point next to exhaust water injector, out of manifold into engine water pump, through head, out of thermostat housing into the exhaust water injector.

Having removed the manifold, the water jacket is covered in black soot but not blocked.

I understand a closed circuit was originally fitted but apparently the engine ran too warm - a header tank and a small heat exchanger are within a box of spares.

Any ideas on how to test further and do I need to fit a cooler for the sump ? :?