merc 40

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

merc 40

Post by petrolhead »

well the merc 40 performed very well on Sunday. The top water leak seems to have gone too! having flushed it yesterday.

It does have a leak though, it is sprinkling water out of the hole where the top mountings/top part of leg/steering yolk area is?

I can only assume this is where the water pipe is coming up from the impellor and connects to underside of the motor? any ideas greatfully received.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: merc 40

Post by Alacrity »

I would think it's possible you have a top mounting gone as well, & the cooling water that exits down the inside of the leg is spraying out through the mount. Se7en should be able to confirm.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

if it is water on the way out thats not so bad, if it is on its way in to the motor the leak worries me. Think I cold use a full set of mountings! any more let go and it will be hanging by the fuel hose and cables on the transom. :o At least I have proved its worth doing.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

The only way to find out is to take it apart and have a good look, the engine goes well so it's worth doing a good job, I was very impressed with the way it went on sunday.... Geoff could only just get away from you, you know ..... :D

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

thanks Clive, I was impressed too, a surprisingly good little package. On the basis the motor needs new mounts on the leg I will start trying to source parts before pulling it apart. The prop is still seized on too, the thrashing up and down Sotton Water failed to budge it :hmmm:

If anyone has a pair of dyna float silent bush mountings for it let me know. Quite happy with decent used ones, apparantly they never go! :grrr: