Johnson Manaul

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Johnson Manaul

Post by Rapier »

VivaSportiva, those 40s only had a charging circuit if they had a generator; as far as I know they weren't overly reliable and the flywheel to genny belts are now extremely expensive. Mr Vital Spark is the fundi on these, PM me and I'll give you his number as he's not online. Are you planning on coming up to Basildon - if so will bring my 1969 Johnson service manual which has the continuity and resistance specs, i.e. the (gearbox) coils or wiring could be at fault - the wires were often pulled when the gearbox was dropped, or sidecutters used by the unsure... Perhaps another option is to look at picking up a proper 2nd hand manual shift box (maybe Se7en can advise here as am sure they're interchangeable). Mike Vincent at Southcoast Marine may be able to help too.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Howstar »

I have 2 spare manual gearbox but have look at linkage first
Last edited by Howstar on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

It may be that some one has put the wrong oil in the gear box, these electric shift boxes are notorious, there great when there working ...!!! but parts are almost impossible to get, you have to remember you are dealing with a motor thats at least 45 years old, and was made in small numbers compared to the manual gear box model.
The manual gear box will fit on the leg, but you will have to fit all the gear linkage and gear lever, that is quite a lot of work, its all do able, but is it worth it...??
Clive

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Clive is right, when we got our secondhand 40hp o/b with el gearbox in 1967 !!! from a main dealer the wire to the "gear" cogs was cut, the dealer washed his hand off it!!! :evil: we stripped the total o/b rebuilt it and got a new wire :D the o/b then went great, even raced it :o, repainted it in BMC snowberry white?? & the new thing called hammerite silver!! it looked great :D got new decals etc but we cut the seahorse badge out from a bit of stainless steel :o

pic with dad & brother, me take the pic! boat before it was re-decked for racing

hope all goes well for you.

ps we have NO parts !!

T 15 :wot:
Attachments
IMG_0007.jpg

VivaSportiva
CMBA Member: 550

Post by VivaSportiva »

Hi Rapier,Thanks for all the interest re the Owens and the one directional Johnson .Janice and I will be coming to Basildon and we will bring some photos of the Owens with us.Any advice you can give would be appreciated.We look forward to seeing you there. :D

VivaSportiva
CMBA Member: 550

Post by VivaSportiva »

Hi Howstar,Thank you for the kind offers of the manual gearboxes for our one directional Johnson and for the other bits and pieces you have ,once I have stripped it down I will have a better idea of what the problem is and can start to get together what is needed to make it go both backwards and forwards. :cheers:

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Hi all took the fywheel off the JOHNSON 40 just to check the points it did run wella bit of misfire and backfire

So i checked the coils etc,
glad i did the wax coating , is nacked ,coils are not cheap
but now it starts first time now ,
Must look at the water pump next it seem to work ok but might aswell give it acheck
Attachments
mercurry ou board 11119B.JPG
Last edited by Howstar on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howstar

Post by Howstar »