johnson 115 v4 engine

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

beefurmm
CMBA Member: 0

Re: johnson 115 v4 engine

Post by beefurmm »

boat.jpg
boat.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 7913 times
this is as she looks now, sorry, only thumbnail picture taken from motor boat museum in basildon

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

the seating area of Nymph-o any more info greatly recieved
nympho1.jpg

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

se7en wrote:The engine,if it is 115hp, is a 1967 GT115, based on the 90hp Golden meteor of 1966,and was designed as a 'racing engine only',the colour is wrong, it should be green and cream, the engine was rated at 116hp,(at the flywheel) its main feature was its gear box,it was manual change, and had a duel pinion lower unit, this made it stronger under racing conditions, however, you may have trouble getting propellors for it, if you ever need any, they were designed for that gear box only, and are left handed rotation, they were hard to get when the engines were new......43 years later.......good luck..!! if it has an electric change gear box,that has right hand rotation, it is not a GT 115, its just a 90hp 0r the later 100hp standard motor, if it is a race motor most of the powerhead is based on the 85.5 cubic inch 90hp engine, but there are not many of these about, they were not as popular as the 6 cylinder mercury of the same period, the Johnson drank more fuel, and was not as smooth, still, its nice to see one again after all these years, but its going to be a hard engine to maintain, just because of the spares situation.Do you have a serial or model number? if you do, I can tell you what it is and what year.
There were never many raced in the U.K. I can only really remember seeing one, Couger mariner used to race one, I can remember an off shore boat, Howard wheeler's North American S22, 'Wild Cat' that had two Evinrude GT 115's, the same engine but in Evinrude colours, and that was about it, there must have been a few more, yours being one, but as I said before, the 6 cylinder Mercury was more popular, and easier to get racing parts for.

the Tremlett dealer in Belfast had one on the back of a Tremlett, all that I can still remember is the engine noise.....it was GREAT....
thanks for the info & dates, it now makes sense..i remember his boat & it was before "our" race days ;)

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

glad to see i am re-opening past reminders of the good ole days, i personally had never heard of these boats ubtil i went to basildon to pick up TRIDENT and to move her to her new home here in the forest along with an enfield 26, and a lovely boat i look after called HUNDRUM
AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE PROJECT AND I MAY even bring her to the open day this year

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

Trident leaves Basildon Museum

on boatmad forum me leaving basildon with trident

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I MAY even bring her to the open day this year
Pleeese do - & like all you folks coming, let me know in advance so I can post you entry passes.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

I think the leg was a pale green colour probably still is the cowl I suspect was
repainted to match the original rig it was on.
The lower unit description sounds familiar it is manual and the exaust is above
the cavitation plate. It has a bronze prop. very heavy (always start in gear to
avoid risk of breaking drive shaft) I think I did have a spare prop. altho a
different pitch prob for different events e.g. circit race. It has a 4 choke
vertical carburator if that helps. Don't know rotation altho it is not
important as it has forward and reverse gears (I think).

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

if anyone else can be helpful, would be apprieciated

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Not sure if this is any help but if you click johnson 1969 or what ever year you think it is, 115hp It might be a help in getting parts.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.asp ... a6471c0f7f

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

securedownload[1].tiff
securedownload[1].tiff (509.26 KiB) Viewed 7834 times
lovely picture of engine just found................