Fuel tank

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

glynn
CMBA Member: 750

Fuel tank

Post by glynn »

Hi any advise on how to clean out the fuel tank on my albatross it has bad staining on the in side ? :grrr: :idea:

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Re: Fuel tank

Post by twister »

The system I've always used on old tanks is to find a bunch of small-ish stones, not too sharp and of varying size, put them in the tank along with some hot soapy water and shake around at all angles until your arms ache - then sit down, have a beer, and do it all again. The bigger the tank, the more stones (or perhaps hex nuts - but you have to buy those!) you'll need.

Drain out the water, refill, and carry on. You'll be surprised how much muck comes out. When done, rinse with a hosepipe, dry the inside and shake out the stones. A good way to dry if there's no sun available (normal!) is to poke an airline in the tank at low pressure and leave for a few hours.

If the tank is corroded and/or leaky, I've had great success with sloshing sealer (from Frosts if you can afford it) which seems to last for ever.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I agree with Rod but a good option - if the tank will fit & one is available, is to put the tank with it's stones/nuts/gravel into a cement mixer & leave it running for a while then turn the tank over & off you go again! I have had great success with an old car tank with this method & it's easier on the arms! :D :D :lol:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

glynn
CMBA Member: 750

Post by glynn »

Thanks for that i'll give that a try on the weekend .Got cement mixer plenty of shingle just got to get the beer :cheers:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I didn't mention it but wrap the tank in an old blanket or something similar to stop it banging about in the mixer or you might end up having to fabricate a new one anyway! :shock: :grrr: :cry:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!