quick release coulpings for steering cables?

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

quick release coulpings for steering cables?

Post by petrolhead »

I am now fiddling with the wee racer again. It is close to being up for a play. I am sure some of the hydro guys have worked out what I now want to try and do!

I have a cable steering through sheaves on the dash running back along combings to the steering bar/yolk on the motor. This is manufactured in period by using scrap and parts found in my heap of stuff :hilarious: but looks pretty good as a thick aluminium bar braced with a pair of stainless rigging screws back to the motor preventing any flex. It has been cranked so steering connectors are in line with the swivel on the motor.

I would like to have the option of putting the motor in the car boot when moving the boat, meaning the cable needs disconnecting off each side of the steering. Normally on old motors it is all joined to a central fitting so when it is off the motor the cables remain under tension. However these will both come off and then the cable will fall off the steering helm drum! :hmmm: Even if I took whole steering yolk off the cables then go slack.

So, a quick fitting to the arm and a method with cable ties or something back to the boat hull to hold it in place until refitting is needed.

something like this I thought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-NEW-52mm- ... xyyq5TLa8T

Any ideas from those in the know?