Jack plate

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Jack plate

Post by floater »

As a winter project I am looking to make a start on making a jack plate for my Merc 80 on the Waverider Mustang. As my Merc has the old style thumbscrew clamp swivel bracket the jack plate will have a set back just short of 6”. I want to keep the weight of the jack plate down (boat is already tail heavy) but make it as strong as possible. What range of vertical movement would be most appropriate? 4” seems to be normal but it makes for long slots. I imagine once I find the ideal height I will leave it at that setting, so perhaps a chain of holes at 1/2” intervals would be better.

The sort of thing im planning to make can be seen here:- http://www.vancemfg.com/

Thoughts appreciated.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Jack plate

Post by se7en »

I would go for slots, it gives you much more adjustment , 2-3mm can make a big difference, once you get it to the general height that suits your boat, I have a spare jackplate still in its box somewhere in one of my lock ups, same as the one on "JADE", its from Vance Mfg, its a JPL4000, I'll sort it out and take some measurements of it, or are you going to the Falmouth or Poole meet ? if so I'll take it with me and you can take some measurements....

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

floater wrote:As a winter project I am looking to make a start on making a jack plate for my Merc 80 on the Waverider Mustang. As my Merc has the old style thumbscrew clamp swivel bracket the jack plate will have a set back just short of 6”. I want to keep the weight of the jack plate down (boat is already tail heavy) but make it as strong as possible. What range of vertical movement would be most appropriate? 4” seems to be normal but it makes for long slots. I imagine once I find the ideal height I will leave it at that setting, so perhaps a chain of holes at 1/2” intervals would be better.

The sort of thing im planning to make can be seen here:- http://www.vancemfg.com/

Thoughts appreciated.
Email sent....
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Seven; a gander at yours would be useful, I'm not at Falmouth but will be at Poole so that would be very helpful thanks :thumbsup: .

Rapier; Thanks for the mail reply sent ;)