My engine , just rebuilt

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sea-Jay
CMBA Member: 0

Re: My engine , just rebuilt

Post by Sea-Jay »

A series wrote:Yes but there is no rib in the middle of you engine cover, but there is one down both sides, and because the deck is curved i think you will find it is lower on the sides , compared to the middle as well . I had to shorten my trumpets because they were in the way.
We shall see when I do the final "dry fit" before painting!!!

Over and out!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Electronic ignition won't stop it catching light, the last time it we had one go up was with a new Aldon elctronic distributer.....!! this is a real problem,in the end we fitted flywheel triggered 2d ignition , (nothing with sparks under the carbs!!) we already had KN filters on the carbs, with 60mm long trumpets to catch 'fuel stand off'. the problem is not fuel vapor, as in 'stand off' its the fuel that WILL flood out off the carb vents if they are run at an odd angle, if you don't think this will happen, ask Webcon ltd, the U.K. importers of Webber products, and get there view.

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

Sea-Jay wrote:
A series wrote:Interested to know how well the webers work on a 12degree angle ?
Dellortos on mine actually, but yes! I am interested to know - the Alpine H120 engine had them on an angle didn't it?
The Holbay engine in the H120 Rapier (not Alpine) was canted over to the right by 15° but not tilted backwards. To accomodate the cant to the right, the twin 40DCOE Webers were on a special manifold which set them nominally horizontal.

It's worth remembering that cars have to ascend and descend hills with gradients in excess of 1in4 (25%) or about 15° and accelerate and brake at up to 1G so carburettors are designed to work with the fuel in the float chamber at all sorts of angles. (Insert totally non-PC joke of choice concerning Irish water-skiers and lakes which slope. :giggle: ) Of course, both cars and boats also have to corner!

Easy to correct a downdraught carb. with a wedge but not a sidedraught and particularly not a twin-choke.

Sea-Jay

Post by Sea-Jay »

If the Holbay engine was NOT tilted backwards (or forwards) HTF did it drive the prop?

My views on tilting the carbs are similar to yours, there is a VERY steep hill close to me, about 1.5 miles long. My Astons both with 3 webers apiece used to go up it like a rocket!

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

my 1500 prexflow in my A series uses the block mounts as did a a MK1 and a continental before it. it works fine. I'll try and upload a picture over the weekend

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Sea-Jay wrote:If the Holbay engine was NOT tilted backwards (or forwards) HTF did it drive the prop?
Via the clutch and gearbox! :hilarious:

The prop. shaft in a car is very close to horizontal too and there's a UJ at the gearbox output which handles any slight difference in angle between the engine/bellhousing/gearbox assembly and the prop. shaft.
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

Sea-Jay

Post by Sea-Jay »

Prop = propellor = "that funny shaped thing which make boats move"

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Aha!! The only vehicles fitted with the Holbay engine were the Rapier H120 and the Hunter GLS and neither had the "funny shaped" extra featured on the Amphicar. :giggle:

Tatra Man wrote:The Holbay engine in the H120 Rapier (not Alpine) was canted over to the right by 15° but not tilted backwards.
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!