Ford 1600 crossflow cooling

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

simpson123
CMBA Member: 0

Ford 1600 crossflow cooling

Post by simpson123 »

I am currently completing a Delta restoration and I have a few questions regarding the engine cooling. Sorry if it has been covered before!
The boat has a ford 1600 crossflow engine and is cooled by running the water through two metal plates on the bottom of the boat. Unfortunately I seem to have more pipes coming from the engine than I know what to do with!
It would be extremely helpful if someone could run me through where each pipe should be connected for the engine and exhaust cooling system to work properly.
Thanks for your help!

seymourperry

Re: Ford 1600 crossflow cooling

Post by seymourperry »

I have a Moonfleet with a 1600 cross flow engine and could provide some pictures and talk you through them if you like.

PM me for more info.

Mr Fred

Post by Mr Fred »

Hi, I have a moonfleet as well (conquest) and am just fitting a marinised 1600 crossflow. can you let me have any pictures of your installation. I am currently working on the wet exhaust set up and am wondering what type of pipe and fittings to attach to attach to the outlet from the manifold. I have a gearbox in there as well and space is tight.

Thanks

Rod

Alien

Post by Alien »

Hi Rod. I am new to this forum but am currently renovating a 20ft Lyman (runabout!? Not too sure) which has a marinised Ford 1600 crossflow fitted. I am out of the country for another week but will post some photos of the full engine instalation on my return (if it will be of any help?).

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Don't mean to hijack the post, but welcome to the forum. Am a big fan of the smaller Lyman's and yours does look like an offshore 'cruiser' version.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alien

Post by Alien »

Home at last!

Hope these pictures come out and are of any help.

i have more if you would like me to send them o your e mail address, just a bit large for the forum page.

All best

Andrew
Attachments
PICT0072.JPG
PICT0071.JPG
PICT0047.JPG
PICT0058.JPG

Alien

Post by Alien »

Further to my last input, the 1600 GT engine has an oil/water heat exchanger on one side and a water/water/exhaust heat exchanger on the other.

It is a Bowman marine engine conversion that maintains the engine cooling system as standard, water cooling provided by passing the engine water through a heat exchanger that uses external drawn water which exits with the engine exhaust.

The advantage is that no external (salt) water enters the engine block therefore allowing the engine water to have antifreez added with all the anti corosion benefits.

I'm not sure if the external plate cooling system is a similar configuration, but Bowman are still making the conversion kits and are very helpfull with advice.

all best.

scooter
CMBA Member: 113

Post by scooter »

The water comes from one of the hull blisters to the water pump then through the engine and out the thermostat housing and back into the other hull blister, from that blister it goes over to the the first blister and then round the engine again this is a sealed system but it is not pressurised. The hull also has a skin fitting from which water is drawn up by an electric pump through the oil cooler (if fitted ) and then into the exhaust manifold and then out the exhaust. Hope this is if help.

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

hi
i am looking at a cross flow.. what gearbox is on yours?
ta
neil

mad millie

Post by mad millie »

Not wanting to hijack this thread also :shock: but looking at those pics off That crossflow engines gear box, I've got one of those with the bell housing in my garage and thought it was a one off!
Now for sale if any one needs one :thumbsup: