Chris Craft filler stain

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

corinmellor
CMBA Member: 857

Chris Craft filler stain

Post by corinmellor »

Does anybody know where in the uk I could buy the correct stain for my 1951 Chris Craft. From my research the correct product is made by interlux but is not available here in the uk. It would seem to be a mahogany filler stain rather than a wood dye.I also need the "blonde stain" used on the bleached sections of the boat. If anybody has any recommendations on how the have tackled the staining process and which products they have used I would be most greatfull . Corin.

corinmellor
CMBA Member: 857

Re: Chris Craft filler stain

Post by corinmellor »

Update! After much searching I have managed to track down the correct red mahogany stain from Skipper Paints who import it from Italy. Tests so for seem to match perfectly, see what happens when I stain the whole boat! Corin.posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=7431#

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

I must have missed this post originally, I have some DVD's from Townsend Boatworks which cover the staining process for Chris Craft (Capri I think) and he shows the blonde stain in quite some detail. I'm sure he used interlux like you say because he's in America but the process for color matching could be helpful to you.
I always thought interlux were the American make of international paints but I could be wrong, I'm not sure it they offer similar stains?

My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

chriscraft
CMBA Member: 0

Post by chriscraft »

usa. restorers tend to even out all the planks to one single muddy hue this is not desired in the uk and European restorations where generally the owner wishes to see the beauty of the grain under a clear varnish see Riva, freebody etc. the us restorers sometimes bleach the whole boat nearly white then go on with the uniform mahogany stain and grain filler, followed by varnish, 12 plus coats!! we did a Chris craft Capri a while back with the blonde decks , after sanding we taped off the area to be blond and bleached it with an A + B bleach followed with a strong oxalic acid ,washed off and neutralised, this left a very pale light surface colour we than applied a fiddes light oak grain filler which left a rich blond colour which was then varnished with the remainder of the deck. hope this helps
incidentally are you fitting new decks if so where did you get the mahogany from.
cheers David :wot:
that bloke up north !