windscreen

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mr Fred
CMBA Member: 0

windscreen

Post by Mr Fred »

Just a note to say that I have had a nice screen made for my Moonfleet by Gary of Littleport Boat Haven http://www.littleportboathaven.co.uk/bo ... creens.htm

Gary has a mould for a classic runabout screen (used to make mine) and a few other moulds as well. Mine is 52 inches wide at the widest part and is hot formed out of 6mm perspex and looks great just sitting on the deck of Miss Fred. There is a picture of an identical one on the website. Price was reasonable, I thought, and service was good - I went down to pick mine up.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: windscreen

Post by Rapier »

I've seen this site - they look good, but are very pricey indeed for a plain perspex screen only. Is possible and a lot cheaper to use lexan / polycarbonate in an existing frame if you have one.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

He has updated his website - he used to have a picture of my old Broom Capricorn Mk1 taken at Beale Park.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

I'm with Rapier, polycarb is so cheap and workable and can be heat formed if needed.
My moonfleet screen cost £26 in 5 mm uv lexan.
Attachments
image.jpg

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Hi Eastcoast, would my Moonfleet Aquila windscreen be the same pattern as yours ? :hmmm: if so would you or anybody on here have a template ? as I've only got a paper template and not sure if I've done an accurate copy ! :? because if my memory serves me correct the perspex/ polycarbonate tucks into the brackets ?

moonman

Post by moonman »

Hi Ian , your Aquila screen will be the same as Paul's Silver Shadow, as you rightly say the screen has tabs either end of the screen that slot into the screen brackets .
Your Silver Shadow looks great Paul , looking forward to seeing it at an event in 2014 .

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

Hi Ian, if your up my way more than welcome to take measurements off mine or I could send some?
I think mine is slightly higher than original but it looks ok to me.

Old one broke into many bits which is another reason not to use Perspex, it shatters!

Thanks for vote of approval Tony, looking forward to next year and don't forget guys York event is on again, dates tbc.

welshhealey

Post by welshhealey »

Many thanks for the kind offer,but unfortunately, I'm not up your neck of the woods for quite some time :grrr: (presuming your area is as your forum user name ? ) however, seeing as I only got a rough template (permission very kindly given by Tony to take one off his :thumbsup: ) and to double check my inaccurate template :( , if you could send me the measurements I would be extremely grateful, my address is on the rear page of the mag ! if you cannot find it, let me know and I will send you a PM :perfect:

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

No worries I will get them sizes over to you. Hope to see it finished for Cardiff? I was planning to have my Aquila ready for then but newly acquired Boesch will take priority, life is so hard :juggle:

welshhealey

Post by welshhealey »

Cheers many thanks .... yes all being well it will be ready for Cardiff. At long last, I now have an experienced "old school" engineer who knows the old stuff plus good knowledge on the marine side,( He's the same guy that helped me re- build my Healey, Lady Austina) so I know what he's capable of, plus, he has just retired ! :chuffed: also, he is chairman of the local rally car club, so got contacts for useful bits and bobs, we got a refurbished twin choke weber on it and he made me chuckle by saying "once tuned, this six cylinder old heap should go like s..t for tin tacks" :hilarious: so we are now back on track at full steam ahead :thumbsup: in fact, by the time you read this we would have started up the engine which has not run for over 15 years ! :o so I may have to talk nicely to my neighbors early in the morning first tho cos he wants to fire it up for a very short period with just the manifold stems coming out of the engine !(just to see if the old girl will go !) I will put a hose on the cam driven jabsco tho as I dont want to ruin the impellor , I'm not looking forward to the noise :? so ear muffs on guys you may hear it from where you are :hilarious: hoping to get it ready for the first run of the season at Ivy Lake or failing that Chertsey :thumbsup: presuming it will be on ? :hmmm: