Can any engine be marinised?

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Can any engine be marinised?

Post by Tarquin »

I have a Citroen Berlingo Van, Y Reg 2.0hdi engine that runs like a dream but is only worth around £500

Could it be marinised for a reasonable cost?

If so....

How difficult would it be to adapt my outboard ready project boat to suit?

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Can any engine be marinised?

Post by se7en »

Any engine can be made marinised, however , I'm not sure it would be that cost effective to try to marinise this engine, trying to get hold of a water cooled exhaust, and a bell housing/gearbox or stern drive leg to fit won't be easy, then trying to fit it in a boat that is set up for an outboard,quite a lot of work to do it and make it safe and sound, if its already set up for an outboard, I'd fit an outboard, just my view.

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

At the risk of putting a lot of cats amongst quite a few pigeons....

The simplest marinization method - often preferred by our American Cousins on larger boats- is a dry exhaust stack plus a keel cooler or two in place of the radiator.
works well on a Trawler with a funnel.

The Albatross was originally cooled in this way, as was the Simmonds.

However - a hot exhaust in a small boat is not always a great combination. So a lot have a secondary pump to cool a wet exhaust.

It's also worth ensuring there's good air ventilation to the engine bay. But don't use a blower otherwise you'll fall foul of more than a few safety issues.
if you have an engine room fire and an electric blower feeding it with air, you'll need to learn how to swim very quickly.

As Se7en says, it probably not worth it on a hull setup for an outboard... Spend your £500 (plus conversion costs) on a suitable outboard.

All the best
S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

I agree with the lads it's not worth the money or the effort for one a car engine on average runs at top revs 30% of the time and a marine engine at 70% so they are built stronger to deal with this, you would also have to change the carb,distributor,alternator and starter to marine non spark. You will also be changing the centre of gravity and the centre of buoyancy of the boat making it unstable or unable to get up on the plane.
Saying that of course it can be done :D

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/inbo ... kit-STR001

Here one that been done and kit for sale,not sure it worth the effort

http://www.streamenvironmental.co.uk/ma ... ngines.php

Now I know what to do with my van

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Thanks all, looks like a lot of work and expense.

Outboard it is.... :wot: