Yarecraft leak

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Yarecraft leak

Post by floater »

After getting my feet wet at Cardiff I thought I would look for the leak on my Yarecraft. It has always taken in a bit of water but on recent outings it seems to have been taking in more.

I started by looking along the join between the keel and the hull. I stripped off some paint and sure enough found a split. I was going to pump a bit of epoxy into it and leave it at that but thought it would be easier to turn the boat over to get better access. Once turned over I thought it would be best to strip the paint back to the strake to make it easier to tidy up after. When stripping the paint I found a couple of soft patches which upon further investigation turned out to be extensive rot. I have removed the outer keel at the back and found further rot, this prompted me to look inside. I found the inner keel to be completely rotted resulting in its removal from the transom to the centre of the rear foot well.

So begins the restoration.

May be on the Thames run in my 8 ft dinghy.
Attachments
hull small#2.jpg
outside hull (upside down)
outside hull (upside down)
Last edited by floater on Wed May 09, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Yarecraft leak

Post by Alacrity »

Oh dear, that's a shame. Just goes to show that even a well maintained all up together boat can have hidden disasters lurking there tucked away away. Good luck with the repair Dave. :nice:

How was the Mustang & its rebuilt Merc on Friday?
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Oh :roll: , very sorry to see this, it looks extensive and time consuming - keep us posted. N
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater

Post by floater »

I first restored the boat 20 years ago so it is not surprising that water has got in and taken its toll, also the keel area was not opened up then as it looked sound. This time I removed the outer keel to expose and dig through the soft hull skin and found the core of the inner keel was rotted too. From inside the boat the visable faces of the inner keel look sound as it is the core that is rotten.
I'm hoping the repair will not be too difficult, it is on a flatter part of the hull and I have some lloyds ply, epoxy and mahogany left over from the Mustang so I am all set to go. The current Mrs Floater is none too impressed though believing i am just finding more reasons not to start on the bathroom! My argument that at least I havent bought another project fell on deaf ears. :?

The Mustang was a bit troublesome at Chertsey although it started well it would only intermittently rev out to higher rpm. (petrolhead had a similar problem at Ivy lake) Se7en was very helpful and among other things suggested I get the motor set up and syncronised before I go looking for the fault thus starting from a known point :thumbsup: . I was planning to set the motor up at the lake but with the weather being pretty foul and the slipway being kept busy I did'nt manage to do it. One point of interest though was that the plug on number 4 came out very clean making me worry that the water ingres problem is still there. On a positive note there was no water at all under the floor so I think the boat at least is watertight. Also in the brief moments of engine performance it took off like a champagne cork so interesting times ahead once it is sorted.
I have a water tank that will fit under the motor on the boat now so stand a better chance of setting it up at home.

floater

Post by floater »

Have routed out the hole in the Yarecraft hull and made some matching panels to suit, I also stripped some other areas of concern on the hull to repair those also (cracks in the paint along veneer joints caused bt the flexing of the hull) Yesterday I sanded the hull ready to repaint after the repairs are done. I also picked up some mahogany framing that I saved when my mum had her patio doors replaced so will set about making up the inner and outer keel from that next week.
Attachments
Routed holes and matching patches
Routed holes and matching patches

floater

Post by floater »

Been a while but the job is done and the boat is fit for another 20 years.
I hope I dont ever have to get it appart again, I haven't gone light on the epoxy.
Happy to have done the job now, I had been feeling the paint was looking tired and battered so this has been the perfect opportunity to give the hull a re-paint.
Attachments
patch and outer keel bonded in, keel scarffed to original.
patch and outer keel bonded in, keel scarffed to original.
inside looking aft, patch and inner keel bonded in along with original knees
inside looking aft, patch and inner keel bonded in along with original knees

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Nice job, will be good to see it on the water for the next 20 years.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater

Post by floater »

Finaly took the Yarecraft out for it's first run of the year today!! :woo:

Nice gentle cruise up the Thames with the lawnmower on the back, from Chertsey up to Windsor and back. lovely day although the river was very busy.

Good news is that after being in the water for a full 7 hours there was not a drop of water inside at all, :chuffed: . God bless epoxy and all who sail in her.

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Well done :thumbsup:
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Well done Dave, I will look forward to seeing her again soon. :thumbsup:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!